Chaw714

8 more to go for my A

I only have 8 more jumps till i get my A licence and i was hopeing i could get some suggestions on some gear choices...i want to purchace a full rig when i get my licence and was wondering what people like best and what types of rigs i should be looking at for my level

Hi there Chaw,

Unfortunately at this point, your best bet for looking for gear, is to talk to your instructors first. They know you, how you fly, have seen you land, and know what type/size of canopy would be best for you. After that, keep an on the classified section here for gear that may be suitable for you.

Then, before you go too crazy, consult with your instructors before any potential gear purchase.

Good luck on getting your 'A'!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

As for your container/harness system, I agree -- definitely get measured. I tried to buy used gear when I was first looking, but soon realized that everything for sale at the time was made for someone much larger than me. I would not have saved money because I would have had to have the harness re-sized anyway.

Additionally, the benefit of your instructors' advice will give you an idea of the range of canopy sizes you are likely to jump over the next several hundred jumps. Again, with the used gear, I couldn't find a container to fit the range of canopy sizes I plan to use over the next 10 years. For these two reasons I ordered a new container and harness.

However, I was able to find a great deal on a used canopy -- exactly the size and model I was looking for, in colors I don't hate. :P

Again, I presented all of my ideas to my instructors and my rigger and asked their opinions. This process took about 6-8 months once I was serious about looking, but it resulted in a comfortable rig that I love wearing, and a canopy I love to fly and is not too difficult to fit into the container (I'm still at the upper end f my canopy size spectrum).

Bottom line: don't be in such a hurry to get your own gear that you waste money or put yourself in danger. The extra time spent talking it over and checking out your options pays off in the long run. If there was one perfect container or one perfect canopy for everyone, the others would cease to exist.

Good luck on your A, be safe, and HAVE FUN!!! :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

As for your container/harness system, I agree -- definitely get measured. I tried to buy used gear when I was first looking, but soon realized that everything for sale at the time was made for someone much larger than me. I would not have saved money because I would have had to have the harness re-sized anyway.

Additionally, the benefit of your instructors' advice will give you an idea of the range of canopy sizes you are likely to jump over the next several hundred jumps. Again, with the used gear, I couldn't find a container to fit the range of canopy sizes I plan to use over the next 10 years. For these two reasons I ordered a new container and harness.

However, I was able to find a great deal on a used canopy -- exactly the size and model I was looking for, in colors I don't hate. :P

Again, I presented all of my ideas to my instructors and my rigger and asked their opinions. This process took about 6-8 months once I was serious about looking, but it resulted in a comfortable rig that I love wearing, and a canopy I love to fly and is not too difficult to fit into the container (I'm still at the upper end f my canopy size spectrum).

Bottom line: don't be in such a hurry to get your own gear that you waste money or put yourself in danger. The extra time spent talking it over and checking out your options pays off in the long run. If there was one perfect container or one perfect canopy for everyone, the others would cease to exist.

Good luck on your A, be safe, and HAVE FUN!!! :)

Very, very well put.

Thank you all for the extremely helpful advise...i will def be consulting my instructors about everything said here...and again thank you all i am loving this new community that i have found with diving everyone is amazing and so helpful...2 more till my 8 thank you all again and as always...PULL!!

Let me add...

IF you wind up buying used gear of any type, always use an escrow unless you are buying from somebody local. You don't want to get stabbed by a scammer.
Nearly every legitimate seller will agree to the escrow. Be wary of those who won't. That's not saying that every no-escrow seller is shady...not at all. It's just that having an escrow quite often makes those shady scammer characters avoid dealing with you.

The point is that you'll want to make sure that what you wind up paying for is something that you want and need.

Using an escrow protects both the buyer AND the seller from shadiness and misunderstandings.

It works like this:
The seller sends the stuff to the escrow.
The buyer gives the money to the escrow.
The buyer checks out the stuff for fit and airworthiness.

If the buyer wants it, he gets the stuff, the escrow forwards the money to the seller.

If the buyer doesn't want it, the stuff is returned to the seller and the money is returned to the buyer.

The only details that need to be worked out with the seller beforehand is"
1. Who pays the shipping to the escrow.
2. Does the buyer get to try it out before purchase.
3. How long does the buyer get to keep it before a firm decision is made.
4. Who pays the shipping back to the seller.

Most riggers are willing to act as escrow for you.

This is good because you'll want a rigger to inspect the stuff (buyer pays for the inspection) and render an opinion on it's fit, airworthiness and value.

Good lick on your buying experience and congrats on your progression!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well i got my A thank you all for the great advice...i havent bought anything yet and im goin to my first boogie out at elsinore this weekend...any advice on what to demo i have tried a few different things from the rentals at the perris DZ but dunno what i like best yet well hope to see you all in the skies sometime :)

I'm totally new too, but I think we're gonna go right back to suggesting you ask instructors the demo question in person idea.

Wingloading isn't a perfectly linear pounds per square foot formula and it needs to be decided by someone with experience and the ability to see you perform in the flesh.

I hope you have fun at the boogie!!

...Don't Get Elimated!!

Wingloading isn't a perfectly linear pounds per square foot formula and it needs to be decided by someone with experience and the ability to see you perform in the flesh.

Careful, 'wingload' IS a mathematical calculation, in the SIM, that we all jump by. Section 4C.
I hope you mean; 'downsizing' (a canopy) needs to be 'discussed' with someone of experience, and their ability to see you in the flesh.

I would believe Chaw is working on handling characteristics on demo gear, more than wingload.

Chaw, help me out, clarify your post.
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

yea dont want to downsize my wingloading just yet i have been flying 210s-200s and i dont even wanna think of a 190 untill i hit about 60-70 jumps and thats when im planing on buying...i really just appriciate all the advice im gettin on asiking my instructors(which i do, do) but im just wanting others opinios as well all advice is welcome i appreciate it all and wanna hear everyones point of view...i like to try and see all angles before i make my own opinion...and with this sport i have definitly seen that the more prep and info and time put into a decision is what makes that extra inch count

well, since you are asking about what to demo, try to compare and contrast the bigger differences.

The Safire, Sabre2 and Pilot are very similar, and at your experience level, I don't know that you'd be able to tell much difference.

So try a 7-cell vs 9-cell. Or hybrid construction vs Zero-P.

Or try flying a reserve as main demo. If you've only flown Zero-P 9-cells, flying a 7-cell F-111 will be a bit different. Far better to have your first experience on one under controlled and expected conditions than right after your first mal and chop.

Just my $0.02
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Careful, 'wingload' IS a mathematical calculation, in the SIM, that we all jump by. Section 4C.

I hope you mean; 'downsizing' (a canopy) needs to be 'discussed' with someone of experience, and their ability to see you in the flesh.

I would believe Chaw is working on handling characteristics on demo gear, more than wingload.

Chaw, help me out, clarify your post.

It's not perfectly linear because a highly loaded large canopy isn't anywhere near as dangerous and fast as a highly loaded small canopy. The difference is smaller parachutes don't have the drag from the added thickness as they aren't proportional that way.

I could've also added that the benefit of asking the instructors is that they'll point you in the right direction in terms of what type of parachute to consider as well as what size to jump but I thought that might be obvious. I didn't think you guys would get wrapped around the downsizing axle. ;)

...Don't Get Elimated!!