rolinrok

Starting AFF on Saturday! Guess it's time to officially de-lurk..

Hi all!

Just wanted to take the time to say hello and let everyone know how psyched I am to finally be on my way to jumping!

After discovering dz.com some time ago, I did a little research, decided to save up some cash, and signed up for the A license package at Skydive the Farm. Unfortunately, I dislocated my shoulder a week before I was scheduled and had to cancel >:(. Well, fast forward through arthroscopic surgery, rehab, and a year or two of patiently waiting, and here we are again! B|

I've taken a week off from work as well, so I'm hoping that I can get most if not all of my A license requirements satisfied within a nine day period -- weather permitting of course :). So if you happen to be at STF during the first week of April, maybe I'll see ya around! Guess I'll be doing the bunkhouse and/or camping thing. Really looking forward to meeting everyone, and I won't forget the beer :)
Blue skies!

Welcome Jamey!

You're going to love it here at the Farm....I guarantee it. Camping and bunking is always free. I assume that you have seen our web page.
:)
I'll be doing your FJC here and I'll make a couple of suggestions for pre-course work. Keep in mind that these suggestions are simply to familiarize yourself with some of the terminology and such and not for in-depth study because we will be covering everything you need to know to make your first jump as safe and as successful as possible.

You might download the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM) from USPA at:
http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Downloads/tabid/84/Default.aspx

You'll want to read Chapters 1, 2 and 3 and the first three Categories in chapter 4....again, just to familiarize yourself.

You might run through the UPSA Skydive School presentation at:
http://www.skydiveschool.org/#/cover/
http://www.skydiveschool.org/#/cover/

Pay particular attention to:
-equipment components
-freefall safety
-canopy safety
-landing safety and,
-landing pattern

Again...just to familiarize yourself. We'll cover all the detail in class.

And you could always thumb through the info on the USPA home page at:
http://www.uspa.org/

There's lots of miscellaneous info that you'll find interesting.

When you get here, I'm going to strongly suggest that you also purchase a SIM. We have them here on-site in the Chutingstar Gear store. The hard copy is easier to read. I put mine in my bathroom and read it religiously....kind of a captive audience you might say.
:D:D

So, looking forward to meeting you, eh? Let us know exactly which day you'll arrive and we'll leave the light on for you.
:)
Andy

PS: Don't let the "eh?" fool you...I'm not Canadian.
:D:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the information, Andy!

By the way, I purchased a SIM before I was originally scheduled to attend the FJC a couple of years ago. It's the 2009-2010 edition, but I am assuming there haven't been too many changes. I've been reading and reviewing it quite a bit over the last month or two, and will definitely not be leaving it behind.

As for arrival, I'll be leaving work from Nashville @ around 1:30 PM CDT on Friday and headed straight to STF at that time. According to Google Maps, that's a little over a four hour drive... so I guess I'm looking at sometime around 5:30ish PM EDT?

Six days to go now -- I can't wait! B|

Welcome to the forums! :)), I'm sure you'll have a good time. Good luck with your training and I hope the weather is good for you!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I purchased a SIM before I was originally scheduled to attend the FJC a couple of years ago. It's the 2009-2010 edition,

There are later editions but for your FJC purposes that good enough. We'll be training the latest and greatest but your version is good to go for now.

According to Google Maps,

Hold on! STOP right there! Google maps is hosed!
It lists both Grady Road AND Grady Street. You want Grady ROAD! And on top of that, the map is totally, totally wrong!!!!! Do NOT use Google Maps! Unless, that is, you want a grand tour of NE Georgia before you call and tell us you're lost.

Use Mapquest. Get directions from Nashville to 1195 Grady Road Rockmart, GA 30153

Basically, you'll go from Nashville on I-24 through Chattanooga and pick up I-75 South the Calhoun, GA and take GA53 to Cedartown then US278 to Grady Road.

I'll be leaving work from Nashville @ around 1:30 PM CDT on Friday and headed straight to STF at that time. According to Google Maps, that's a little over a four hour drive...

Add at least another minute, since it will be Friday rush hour in Rockmart. [:/]:ph34r:

(BTW, using 1195 Grady Road, Cedartown, GA rather than 1195 Grady Road, Rockmart, GA in Google Maps will get you to the right place.)

(BTW, using 1195 Grady Road, Cedartown, GA rather than 1195 Grady Road, Rockmart, GA in Google Maps will get you to the right place.)

Yes and NO!
It may get you here but the route it shows is convoluted with dirt roads, no street signs and out of the way BS.

Use Mapquest and forget Google Maps entirely.

Do NOT use Google Maps! Unless, that is, you want a grand tour of NE Georgia before you call and tell us you're lost.

Okay, if I start hearing banjo music I'm outta there! I was planning on leaving my whitewater gear at home anyway. :P

Use Mapquest. Get directions from Nashville to 1195 Grady Road Rockmart, GA 30153

Okay, directions have now been MapQuest'ed and printed. Thanks for the heads up guys!

OK Jamey...I just found out that I will not be here for your training. You will have another instructor to train you.

Trust me...I am not happy about this.

... As for arrival, I'll be leaving work from Nashville @ around 1:30 PM CDT on Friday and headed straight to STF at that time. According to Google Maps, that's a little over a four hour drive... so I guess I'm looking at sometime around 5:30ish PM EDT?

Weather forecast looks very good for your stay. I'll note that your math above is a bit off, since you lose an hour with the time change, so if you leave 1:30 CDT and travel for 4 hours, you'll arrive about 6:30 EDT. (On the bright side, Friday rush hour in Rockmart is from 5:00pm to 5:05pm, so you don't have to factor in a delay for that. :)

Yep, I totally forgot to add that hour, despite distinguishing between the two timezones in my post. Derp! :$

Andy, I'm bummed that I won't get to see you in my FJC. Maybe I'll catch you sometime later in the week or next weekend? Either way, I'm pretty stoked about the forecast... with the exception of today and tonight.

I'm all packed up and ready to leave work in another hour and a half. Really looking forward to it! B|