parasyte

Starting AFF mid-March

Middletown Ohio

Their program is Thur-Sun but my work schedule is a bit different:
Week 1 I'll be off sat/sun
Week 2 I'll be off wed/sun
Repeat

So I can't quite get all my stuff in on one weekend, but they said they could accomodate doing 2 of the 4 days one weekend, then getting the rest done two weeks later.

If your really into it and can get there all day, you could do it in 2 days if your lucky =)

I did 3 jumps the first day and 4 the second... If you start studding now on what you need to do for AFF1 and if you have that down cold maybe you could look at AFF2.

I had them down so it was all reflex. If you get a timer, you fall 1,000 ft every 5 seconds so you can do your entire dive plan.

anyway just something my instructor told me to do, saved me from repeating any jumps $_$
Cheers

Jon W

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to repeating any jumps, though I suppose it's probably inevitable. I've been reading up and watching videos, studying them if you will, on how they position their bodies and what they're doing to do maneuvers etc but I have a feeling none of that will matter and it will take actual air time to have any impact.

I sure wish I could find some statistics on how many jumps are failed in AFF on average. Anyway, I originally planned on enrolling in the full A license course all 25 jumps and dive check but at $2,500 I wouldn't have it until probably June, so I figure why not do AFF while I have the cash then get the rest of the jumps in as I get the money. Seems pretty solid.

well thats why i say to try and get them all done at once, youll be less nervous and less likely to repeat a jump.

I think $1,200 to $1,500 (abouts) at LSPC will get you an A license... but it's static line progression. Thats what they were offering when i was there. But alas i moved to Tennessee.

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/121.shtml
Cheers

Jon W

Be very careful about watching videos to learn about technique. YOUtube is NOT the place to learn to skydive. Your instructors will teach you everything you need to know about position in freefall, and anything else you need to know.

Instructors could get frustrated having to un-teach you things you learned on the web, and it could cost you $$ in repeated jumps because you did things differently than the way you were taught.

Just relax, have fun, and listen to what your LIVE instructors teach you.

Let us know how it goes!

Blue ones.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Be very careful about watching videos to learn about technique. YOUtube is NOT the place to learn to skydive. Your instructors will teach you everything you need to know about position in freefall, and anything else you need to know.

Instructors could get frustrated having to un-teach you things you learned on the web, and it could cost you $$ in repeated jumps because you did things differently than the way you were taught.

Just relax, have fun, and listen to what your LIVE instructors teach you.

Let us know how it goes!

Blue ones.

Pretty sound advice, thanks. I'll definitely keep you guys up to date. I got my state return today, soon as I get my federal return in the next few days I'm reserving my spot. Hopefully on the 17th. Wish me luck ;)

Instructors could get frustrated having to un-teach you things you learned on the web,

I agree that Youtube is not a good for learning what to do, but it has been helpful to me to learn what not to do. At least in some cases.

Things to avoid:

There are no tree limbs in free-fall. So don't grab for one if you go unstable. Focus on good position/form and don't claw at the sky.

Bending forward at the waist does no good unless you are making a comedy video.

Forgetting to flare!

etc.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thanks for the info.

I don't know why but static line just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it's fun I just don't see it being more fun than 14500 and almost a minute of free fall :P

Might not be as much fun but you can probably afford your own rig sooner. And I don't know if I had "fun" for quite a few jumps. I really had fun after I got my license when I jumped with no pressure. If you repeat a jump in SL/IAD its only $40-$60 which is cheaper than a licenced jump with rental at some places.

AFF will help you get your B sooner though. I did SL and didn't have my freefall time by 50 jumps.

I would wieght the pros and cons to see which is best for you but I think fun would be a pro for each. And the fun I had after the last load was more than my student skydives anyways.

My 2 cents.

Grrrrrr my taxes still haven't been deposited yet. Sure are quick to take my money but slow as hell giving it back. I keep checking my account like a kid waiting for presents on Christmas night. The moment I see it there I'm reserving my spot :D

Start Skydiving
Middletown Ohio

"Beware the Ides of March!" :o
Nah, just kidding. Have Fun :)
lol lol :) :) :) I just love these kind of threads. Innocent, honest etc etc! Have fun, say attention, BREATH and for skyGods sake DON'T GIT COMPLACENT! Oh and stay off you tube for awhile Just sayin! blue skies and save some money out for a case of coca cola afterwards.... ;P

A lot of students get caught up in "failing" skydives. Every skydive you do counts as a jump! When you have your A no one will ask you how many jumps it took to get there! Who cares if you "fail" a jump, just get back out and do it again! Enjoy and good luck!

Congrats on starting the AFF program. Like all good advice so far:

Listen to your instructors, no one else is gonna be there with you in the sky and the dive flow is a very critical plan for both of you to follow. At 120 mph, youtube shenanigans can be fatal.

Relax, being relaxed just before exit starts the dive out right. Breathe deeply and smile. Force a smile if you have to. The right frame of mind is the best preparation for success.

Don't rush to the finish line. I never did more than 3 student jumps in a day. Fatigue leads to complacency. Complacency kills. If you aren't chomping at the bit to go back up, stay on the ground.

Start making friends at the dropzone. Getting an A license is the beginning of the journey not the end.