dontlikemustard

whatsup!

I did my first tandem 2 weeks ago, and loved it. I cannot explain how alive I felt the second my feet touched the ground. I could not believe there was a time in my life I told myself I would never jump.

I live in Los Angeles, and my goal is to get my A-licence + completely gear up by the end of summer. (I'm buying scuba diving gear right now so I have to take it slow).

My plan is to take a week off work in May or June, stay in Lake Elsinore, and get my AFF + a bunch of solo jumps within that time frame.

Until then, I wanna do at least 1 skydive per month, maybe do my ground school and AFF1 in April.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Can I say blue skies yet?

I cannot explain how alive I felt the second my feet touched the ground

I don't think you need to here, Most already know that feeling. And welcome.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

I'm not sure about the AFF rules but my IAD DZ wanted you to be current within 30 days. If you try and make only 1 a month and you get weathered one weekend you might have to take a step back. Which from what I understand with the cost of AFF could cost quite a bit.

There is a lot of other stuff you could learn at the DZ. And people to meet. Just something to think about and congrats on your first jump.

Is there a tunnel around?

I cannot explain how alive I felt the second my feet touched the ground

I don't think you need to here, Most already know that feeling. And welcome.

good point, thanks

I'm not sure about the AFF rules but my IAD DZ wanted you to be current within 30 days. If you try and make only 1 a month and you get weathered one weekend you might have to take a step back. Which from what I understand with the cost of AFF could cost quite a bit.

There is a lot of other stuff you could learn at the DZ. And people to meet. Just something to think about and congrats on your first jump.

Is there a tunnel around?

well I am planning on doing ground school and AFF1 in april, AFF2 in may, (maybe ill keep them 3 weeks apart just in case) and by june i want to take a week off work and finish it all off.

no wind tunnels at Lake Elsinore, but there are some around the area, you think its worth it to spend the 70 bucks for a minute of practice?

you think its worth it to spend the 70 bucks for a minute of practice?

I don't know where it is $70 a minute. I just split 30 minutes with some friends. With a coach it was $475 so $158 for 10 minutes. That’s like paying $16 for a 13,500ft jump with 60 seconds freefall.

Tunnel is way cheaper then skydiving and more useful for working on basic freefall skills. In the tunnel you are not worrying about watching your altimeter and you have a fixed reference point with the walls. You get to focus on your actual control skills with out being jacked out of your mind with adrenaline like you are on your first jumps. Plus your coach can stand next to you and give coaching during flying. Plus the tunnel I was at gave me a dvd of my time in the tunnel.

If I was doing aff I would like to spend time in the tunnel first. It would be nice to go into the jump knowing how to stay stable, turn etc. I think they have you do practice pulls. If you fuck up and fail a jump in aff that cost you a lot more than $70 minute.

I’m new to skydiving as well. I have a friend that has the same amount of jumps but 40 minutes of tunnel time. He is MUCH better in the air than I am. It’s like he is 40 jumps ahead which is a lot under 200 jumps.

However the tunnel will not make you a skydiver. You will still need to learn how to not die or kill others.

you think its worth it to spend the 70 bucks for a minute of practice?

I don't know where it is $70 a minute. I just split 30 minutes with some friends. With a coach it was $475 so $158 for 10 minutes. That’s like paying $16 for a 13,500ft jump with 60 seconds freefall.

Tunnel is way cheaper then skydiving and more useful for working on basic freefall skills. In the tunnel you are not worrying about watching your altimeter and you have a fixed reference point with the walls. You get to focus on your actual control skills with out being jacked out of your mind with adrenaline like you are on your first jumps. Plus your coach can stand next to you and give coaching during flying. Plus the tunnel I was at gave me a dvd of my time in the tunnel.

If I was doing aff I would like to spend time in the tunnel first. It would be nice to go into the jump knowing how to stay stable, turn etc. I think they have you do practice pulls. If you fuck up and fail a jump in aff that cost you a lot more than $70 minute.

I’m new to skydiving as well. I have a friend that has the same amount of jumps but 40 minutes of tunnel time. He is MUCH better in the air than I am. It’s like he is 40 jumps ahead which is a lot under 200 jumps.

However the tunnel will not make you a skydiver. You will still need to learn how to not die or kill others.

then I will definitely do a couple of sessions. thanks for the tips

well I am planning on doing ground school and AFF1 in april, AFF2 in may, (maybe ill keep them 3 weeks apart just in case) and by june i want to take a week off work and finish it all off.

Ive just started AFF in Australia, spent a day doing ground school but couldnt jump in the afternoon cause of weather but came back the next day and did AFF jump 1 and AAF2.

It seams reasonable to bundle a couple together in one hit if you can afford it, weather has cleared here in Sydney and Boss "gonna work from the DZ" today and do AFF3 and AFF4

My plan is to take a week off work in May or June, stay in Lake Elsinore, and get my AFF + a bunch of solo jumps within that time frame.

Until then, I wanna do at least 1 skydive per month, maybe do my ground school and AFF1 in April.

I would definitely recommend taking a week and smashing out as many jumps as possible! I did my A license in a week just back in April and I'm now well in front of people who started AFF 7 months ago.

Your learning is so much faster if you can do a jump, come down, debrief and get straight back up in the sky to put into practice what you've learnt.

Oh and with gear, I wouldnt totally give up on second hand gear. I thought I was going to have to buy new because I couldn't find anything that would fit me properly but the perfect rig came up for an amazing price! :) Keep your eyes peeled... you just never know!
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com