Brodi3687

New student here: Anybody from Minne-snow-ta?

Looking for People from the Mn area to talk to this young pup here and also to introduce myself to what will become soon another family (Not soon enough though. Stupid winter.) Right now learning things that my instructor pointed out for some sites to look at but would also like to be able to talk to people that are local to the state or bordered and also potentially seeing come this spring/summer season.

Thanks

I haven't jumped for a couple of months because it seems like everytime I finally have a free day, it's either raining or too windy. And, I live in Florida, it's supposed to be nice here! Of course there are plenty of blue skies on my work days. :S Ok, rant over...just letting you know that we feel your pain. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I thought after off student status you were able to jump in higher winds then what a student is stuck at!?!? And be lucky down there because up here its an actual winter season that is killing me. Not to mention that windy fall season, but my fault for getting a late start on my A-license.

I thought after off student status you were able to jump in higher winds then what a student is stuck at!?!?

Just because you can jump in high winds, it doesn't mean you should. My personal limit is 20 mph and I won't jump in lower winds if it is gusty. Given the choice, I'd rather jump in a steady, high winds than gusty winds.

There's an old saying you need to keep in mind when you are making a decision as to whether you should jump: it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Skymamma is right. Some folks have personal wind limits that are fairly low, others choose to jump in higher winds. Guess which group limps more? ;)

When you see the young guys getting on a load while the old farts are looking at the wind sock and scratching themselves off the load, you might want to think about it.

And when the old farts break out the lawn chairs and the cameras and go out to the landing area to watch the carnage, you definitely want to think about it.

(to older more experienced jumper)
"Hey, aren't you going up??"

"No, I'm going over to the landing area to watch the new guys learn that their wind limits need to be a little lower."

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I thought after off student status you were able to jump in higher winds

Hi, I don't mean to pile on but I'd like to share a few noobie thoughts. I am new to the sport this season and with only 50 jumps I can say that 99% of the people on this forum know infinitely more than me.

With that said, I certainly endorse Skymama's comments on the winds. In some ways I have a built in safety limit because I fly my airplane to the DZ so if it’s too gusty then I don't go. Constant higher speed winds can catch you out because generally they are much higher at altitude. It has been more than once this season where I have opened and found that making back to the DZ was a close thing.

The other thing that I'd encourage you to be on the lookout for is to get marginalized into a place don't want to be. The people at my DZ are very friendly group and it has been more than once that what starts out as swoop and doc's with one or two people turns into something else. It’s usually, “hey can I join in”, and then 3 people become 7. I know for sure that my tracking sucks and that's too many people for me.

Welcome to the sport and have fun next season. If you’re ever passing through please stop in, we are right on Hwy 94 just north of Chicago.

I'm at MSC in Waseca. Really fun group here to work with me and also SMS is like 100 feet away so this coming season I should be meeting more of the family! More people to kick my ass in the right direction! ;) And everyone, thank you for the advice. This is all useful to know in this time where I'm going to be learning the most.

Jump on the interstate and come visit Skydive Adventures in Luverne, MN! We're a small club DZ like Weseca so I also learned on static line. Just recently got my A! I will be making some trips up to the cities to get some turbine time -- maybe see you around! Jen

Take a look at Westside Skydive http://www.westsideskydivers.com/ too- they're a turbine dropzone about an hour south of St. Cloud. Very friendly place. First time I jumped down there, came in with 36 jumps expecting that no one would want to fly with me; but before I knew it I doing RW with the DZO and a few of his instructors...

The student program at Westside is AFP, so give them a call first to figure out what would be involved. I'm sure you'd need to bring your progression card along at a minimum.