pompita

A-License...Finally!

So I FINALLY obtained the coveted A-license on Saturday. I'm very happy to no longer be on student status and grounded when the winds reach 15 mph!

I started my AFF in April of 2010, in part to celebrate the one year anniversary of having ACL reconstructive surgery on my left knee. Fast forward to Nov 2010 when I was scheduled for my last two jumps on black Friday. It was however, not in the cards, as I tore the ACL in my right knee playing turkey day flag football with some old high school chums (yes, flag football) just one day before I was slated for my remaining jumps.

Anyway, after yet another ACL reconstruction in January of this year, and many months of rehab, I've spent the last 6 weeks trying to finish off the remaining 2 jumps, yet unfortunately grounded due to inclement weather (rain, winds, clouds...you name it).

Saturday was finally the day when it all came together, so I'm very happy and looking forward to the next chapter of good health and skydiving in my life.

Blue skies!

Congrats on your coveted A license! I just got mine as well. I even got my official USPA membership card yesterday, woohoo!
I was a late starter. I did my first tandem August 13, came back for AFF August 27th and got my 25th jump/checkdive done on October 22. It was intense, but I am so glad that I was able to pound thru them before we closed for the season. I finished my first season with 32 skydives, 1 off landing (which i already paid my beer for), and on my last skydive of the season a reserve ride (which i still owe on). It has been an amazing beginning and I cannot wait until we open again in April to continue on with my new love!
Congrats again, and hopefully many blue skies in your future!

Thanks for the link to that thread. I'm very conservative (I'm a bean counter by trade) so I have read a ton about self-control in this regard.

It never hurts to be reminded though! Thanks again.

I don't plan to push it. Really I was just sick of driving 45 minutes to the DZ for 2 months worth of weekends with no jumps, even when just 1 mph over the USPA student limit. But after two knee surgeries, health and safety are #1.

Thanks to Skydive Miami for being ultra conservative when it comes to student safety. They even place wind limits on A-license jumpers, despite no wind limit requirements in the BSRs.

"But after two knee surgeries, health and safety are #1." Glad to read it.

"They even place wind limits on A-license jumpers, despite no wind limit requirements in the BSRs."
Earlier this season, turbulence slammed me down onto a taxiway pretty hard. As I limped back to the packing area. The S&T guy came over. After making sure I was OK. He asked how many jumps I had. I said "Oh, around 64." He turned right around & yelled to the girls in manifest "Wind Hold: No one under 100 jumps goes up!"

Enjoy your new license next year B|.