rrmtopo

After 20 years, back in the air!

Greetings everyone, in to say hello on my first post! I've had a "little" life layover since my last jump so I'll catch you up.

Soon after entering the 82nd Airborne in the early 80s I was introduced to sport jumping (ahhhh, $1 Saturday's & Sunday's to jump all day from Blackhawks). Anyway, when I got out I went back home to Florida where I jumped a few more years at Skydive Deland, Z-Hills & Eustis. Did my last jump in 2001, #584. I've thought about getting back into the sport but I let school, family & jobs get in the way until a friend knew I used to jump and wanted me to go with them to the DZ when they did their tandem. After researching area drop zones we went down to Skydive Spaceland south of Houston and was impressed with the people, operation, and I was jazzed to also see what changes in gear had taken place.

I brought my logbook thinking if I got the itch I could do a quick refresher and do an AFF type jump with an instructor. Wrong, I did the refresher (and the DZ was very accommodating in helping to get me back in the air even on a busy afternoon) but after a few hours practicing I was still not comfortable with the rust on my emergency procedures (and they moved my pilot chute from the leg strap....). My friend had a great tandem ride, Spaceland really did a great job. As for me, I left that day deciding not to rush anything and if I was meant to get back in the air it would happen.

Also, I never sent in an application to get my licenses back then. Not sure why now, guess I thought I only needed one if I was doing record attempts (and was not interested) as I never had a problem jumping at the DZs I went to or even the World Skydiving Convention one year in Quincy. I'd need to work on that.

Well, it only took two weeks thinking about it to make it happen....I attended the AFF class Thursday night & made three jumps yesterday. Signed off as a current skydiver again... certainly not as graceful as I used to be, but that will come too. Awesome weekend.

Made two RW jumps Sunday, first was a six way & second was a four way. Did much better than I thought I would, stayed aggressive in flying my slot & relative to the formation. Awesome.

I really like the new audibles that are available, bought one last week and used it Sunday for the first time. Great back-up to the eyes.

Spaceland really did a great job. As for me, I left that day deciding not to rush anything and if I was meant to get back in the air it would happen.

Welcome back!

Hope to see you down there sometime soon!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~