RevvyAiny

New to Skydiving on Long Island

Hi, everyone. I am a brand new skydiving student (just did my first training tandem last week). A United Methodist minister currently assigned to a supervisory ministry, I am enthralled about the way the disciplines in skydiving relate to a life of Christian discipleship. I don't consider myself a thrill seeker; all I know is that the last time I was this in love I got married.:)

Can't sleep. Thought I'd check in with an update.

Did my first jump course on March 31st. Lots of frustrations with the weather and some travel for work slowed me down a bit, but I managed to graduate AFP by the middle/end of May. Working on my A now. Still experiencing weather frustrations; but I hear it comes with the territory.

Learned to pack a few weeks ago. So now, if I can't jump, I pack and unpack and pack and unpack. Deadly dull, but necessary.

In 15 jumps I have landed on my feet exactly once. Also have had three pretty hard landings. But I learned something (or some things) from each one, so there's that.

Glad to be part of this community. Terrific journey.

Awesome! So glad to hear of your progression, as I know how excited you were to start after the first tandem! :)
I still hope to make it out to SDLI and get current one of these days. Maybe by then you'll be licensed and we can make a jump together!

:)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Thanks!

Still really excited, but trying to temper it to find some balance. Very into skydiving as an expression of my spiritual self. (Except I am on a renewal leave until the end of the summer. My plans? Nothing but skydiving! So much for balance...)

I hope you do make it out to SDLI. For my part, I keep asking women I don't know if they are "Sapphire." It would be nice to be correct one of these days!;)

Sorry to hear you are having poor landings. If there is an opportunity for you to take a canopy control class, I urge you to sign up for it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks, its on my list to get accomplished ASAP. Its a requirement now for the B, but I figured, given my challenges, sooner is better than later.

I think my issue, though, is perception and timing. Skydiving is the first and only sport in which I have ever participated. No frame of reference for skills others probably take for granted.

I will jump more and land more and conquer it!

greetings young methodist preacher....
I have always believed that Isaiah 40:31, was
telling us all to skydive..."they will soar on wings
like eagles...."
however, my preacher responds with a sweeping
hand gesture at his knees and says, "Jesus said,
"and lo, I am with you always."
I always find myself closer to God as I climb out
that door into His 'Breath', than on my knees to
pray. (my favorite hymn from your songbook is #261)

I completely agree with you: that moment of exit into the air -- God's breath -- is a time of intensely intimate communion. On my knees in prayer, I invariably wind up expressing my wants and needs to God. In the air, I can do nothing but listen for the divine voice and lay in the everlasting arms and rejoice in the changes that this all makes in me. Every time I return to earth I am a little more changed. This is a spiritual journey for me unlike any other.

Thank you for your words. They have encouraged me to say more broadly what a deeply transformative experience this is for me. Peace to you.