Namowal

Noob Cartoon: Chicken of the Sky (AFF level 2)

Here's a cartoon I did about my recent AFF level two:

http://tailotherat.blogspot.com/2011/09/skydiving-duck-iv-shakes-on-plane-aff.html

Skydiving Duck: Shakes on a Plane

Guess who still gets pretty nervous? I thought after two tandems and AFF level one that I might calm down just a little...:$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Again...outstanding.

Your "frog brain" is an instinctive thing that every human has. We are instinctively afraid two things, of fire, and of falling. Its completely natural, and normal.

Your body is telling you that this is going to kill you. However your "higher" brain is telling you that you can survive this, having done so already. Thats why you are suddenly on to it once you are in FF.

Your higher brain is dominating, because you are getting out of the plane. As time goes on your "frog brain" will receed into nothing, as your confidence and skill improves. Every jump you do will further this process.

It can get to the stage that you are so confident and assured you start feeling bulletproof, and will do almost anything to get into the sky. This phase is typically when you have around 50 - 200 jumps, and is when you are in most danger.

At that point it is time for "frog brain" to re enter the picture a little and tell you to calm down a little and not to take foolish risks.

Go for it, but try not to let too much time pass between each jump.

Again, the cartoons are outstanding. I can see these being downloaded and showing up on DZ's all over the planet, for AFF students to read and absorb.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

That really made my day. Thanks.

You understand it perfectly.
Your instincts see the edge of the door and tell you "NOOOOOOOOOO" but once you're out they have no input because you are in a totally alien environment.

Don't try to make the anxiety go away, learn to manage it. I still feel it. I know a lot of very experienced jumpers who say that if they ever stop feeling nervous in the plane then they will quit because they will have become too complacent to be safe.

And remember - The absence of fear isn't courage, it's either supidity or insanity. Courage is being scared half to death and doing it anyway.

You sound pretty brave to me. ;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks, obelixtim and wolfriverjoe.:)
I agree that a complete absence of anxiety would be asking for trouble. To this day I still get a bit apprehensive on (don't laugh too hard) some freeway interchanges. It's not the "oh nooooooo!" of terror but the "Hey, pay attention to what's going on!" feeling. I'm cool with that. It helps keep my car (and me) intact.

... To this day I still get a bit apprehensive on (don't laugh too hard) some freeway interchanges. It's not the "oh nooooooo!" of terror but the "Hey, pay attention to what's going on!" feeling. I'm cool with that. It helps keep my car (and me) intact.

You live in southern California, right?
Driving on the freeways out there takes a lot of courage.

Maybe more that jumping :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What's missing, Jen? (Aber etwas fehlt)

Cute cartoon. Get used to the fear, & make your peace w/it. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. If you can put a string of jumps together within a short time. You'll feel better up there faster. There are some threads about that floating around here. Enjoy the journey.

You live in southern California, right?
Driving on the freeways out there takes a lot of courage.

While I don't buy the "skydiving is safer than driving" cliche, it wouldn't surprise me if whomever coined it was driving on California freeways at the time...:ph34r:

What's missing, Jen? (Aber etwas fehlt)

Good catch! It's sorta a semi-inside joke on my blog. I've corrupted the expression and use it to mean "Wait- something's off here," (it was used in this context in an obscure song I like) but the real translation is "Something is missing,"

Cute cartoon. Get used to the fear, & make your peace w/it. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. If you can put a string of jumps together within a short time. You'll feel better up there faster. There are some threads about that floating around here. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not being a wimp about this.:$

These are awesome.

It's funny I had the same thoughts as you but no artistic outlet to release the fears.

I used alcohol as a substitute and it worked fine, but I wish I had some artistic skills.;)

Keep em coming.

BTW my 5 favorite things now are:

The sky
The wind
The noise the wind made
Airplanes
Jumping out of airplanes

The picture of the canopy opening in line twists is brilliant!
Made me smile :)
Please keep these cartoon coming. They are fantastic B|

Thanks. I was going for the incompetent-but-not-sinister look. :)
Then again, maybe I'm being too hard on the canopy, since it was probably my position during deployment that gave "him" a twist.

You have real talent. A way with words, and the ability to express them through your drawings. Keep them coming! I posted "anonymously" on your blog, submit to Parachutist. So many newcomers to the sport will relate to your feelings. Best of luck to you in your student program.

You have real talent. A way with words, and the ability to express them through your drawings. Keep them coming! I posted "anonymously" on your blog, submit to Parachutist. So many newcomers to the sport will relate to your feelings. Best of luck to you in your student program.

Thanks for all the encouragement, bclark I really appreciate it!:)

Namowal, your cartoons are incredible. They remind me of Carl Barks. I also like your sense of color and space, like in the first panel where the mechanical duck is breaking apart.

I hope you make enough to put into a book from Lulu or some place like that! I would buy one.

Tod

They remind you of Carl Barks? That's a true compliment. Thanks! You made my day.:)