tc685435

Just did my first 2 jumps! ..Thoughts on IAD vs. AFF?

Hello! I just completed my first two IAD jumps yesterday. Had a great time, but did not arch very well at all.. mostly just flailed around until the parachute opened. I thought I could do better my second go around, but not so much! My legs especially had a mind of their own. I feel like it will take me several more jumps to get my body to automatically go into that arch position (assuming I get it at all.. :/). Obviously I won't be able to move on in the course until I get this down!

So I was wondering, from you more experienced jumpers: do you think switching over to AFF may be a good option for me? Hanging off the strut of the plane really unnerves me and I think caused me to lose focus on arching. I'm wondering if having the instructors in the air with me helping me to stabilize and having the additional free fall time right off the bat might help me grasp the free fall position better. (I have done a couple of tandems in the past, so I think I have an idea of what the arch is supposed to feel like). This line of thought might be completely off base, and I don't really mind sticking with the IAD method, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this! Thank you!

Sound like simple adjustments your AFF instructors will deal with in your training.

I'm not the best one speak here being so far distanced from the training that goes on today, but being an active current skydiver I see this sort of thing addressed and corrected often.

Maybe some qualified AFF instructors can ofter more here.

Good luck and welcome to the sport
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Welcome to the forums! :) If you can afford it, you might find that AFF is a little easier on your nerves. I have to think that if you are more comfortable, you will be more relaxed and you will perform better.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hello! I just completed my first two IAD jumps yesterday. Had a great time, but did not arch very well at all.. mostly just flailed around until the parachute opened. I thought I could do better my second go around, but not so much! My legs especially had a mind of their own. I feel like it will take me several more jumps to get my body to automatically go into that arch position (assuming I get it at all.. :/). Obviously I won't be able to move on in the course until I get this down!

So I was wondering, from you more experienced jumpers: do you think switching over to AFF may be a good option for me? Hanging off the strut of the plane really unnerves me and I think caused me to lose focus on arching. I'm wondering if having the instructors in the air with me helping me to stabilize and having the additional free fall time right off the bat might help me grasp the free fall position better. (I have done a couple of tandems in the past, so I think I have an idea of what the arch is supposed to feel like). This line of thought might be completely off base, and I don't really mind sticking with the IAD method, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this! Thank you!

Are you dangling off the strut, or going from the step?.

If you dangle, you can actually get your body almost arched before you leave, conversely, from the step you are often starting from a negative arch position, accentuated if you let your hands go before your foot leaves the step. You then have quite a transition to a good arch, and not a lot of time to do it.

Strut dangles are the way to go.

Each jump will increase your awareness, and you will get it right.

Practise it lots on the ground. Its free!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....