LonelyHiker

Help, First-time Jumper from VA

Hi there! I registered here quite some time ago, and thought it was finally time to "de-lurk".

I have been obsessed with the sport of skydiving since I was 8yo, and now, at the robust age of 43, I am on the verge of fulfilling a dream delayed. I am doing my first tandem this Saturday, at a new VA DZ called Nolimits Skydiving. I did a search here and saw that it had been given three positive reviews. If any members here could provide any additional details about this DZ and their experiences there, it would be most appreciated! I've heard that some DZs can be very "clique-y" and condescending to novices. Hoping that isn't case at this one! Based on the reviews, I'm guessing they are friendly enough.

I plan on pursuing the A license via the AFF program (no SL programs offered anywhere in VA from what I can tell). They require two tandems before starting AFF. I was wondering if I should do time in a wind tunnel as a supplement to the AFF training? It seems that a lot of folks here do this.

Thanks in advance for any tips, or topic referrals! Excited to be joining the sport parachuting community!

Looks kind of sketchy to me. If you go to the website, under dropzone there's no pictures with names, there's no information on what plane they fly, there's no pictures of the dropzone or the brand new hanger they built. Something just feels off. If you go to Skydive Suffolk, Skydive the Point, or Skydive Orange's websites there's a lot more detail.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your freefall and canopy flight, but beware, it's really addicting!

It's a real DZ, actually a tandem factory with a cessna to 10K. They are big into the groupon thing from what I have been told. It is located in the middle of nowhere but from what I have been told they are cranking out the tandems every weekend.
I don't know why anyone would pay to jump out of a cessna from 10K when for either the same price or a few bucks more you can jump from a turbine from 13.5K and probably not have to drive as far. This DZ is only close to a few places in VA. If you live in Roanoke or places near there then this DZ is the closest.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Thanks for the welcome, skymama! Yes, I've put down a $50 deposit, so I'll go ahead and do the jump (tomorrow!). I should have done a little more research, obviously. C'est la vie, as they say. I'll definitely go to another DZ to do the AFF program.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!
The mind is everything. What we think, we become. - The Buddha

Well, I made my first tandem jump this past Saturday. I don't think I've had that much adrenaline dumped into my bloodstream in my entire life!:o:)
I was pleasantly surprised by the DZ. Very nice bunch of highly competent instructors. My TM was great, kept me quite at ease on the ride up, great sense of humor, and had a lot of valuable advice and encouraging words when I told him I wanted to get my A license. They do offer AFF training, which I will begin after my second tandem, which I'll be doing a week from Sunday.

My only negative takeaway from my jump was some pretty intense nausea during the canopy ride, which I will detail in a post in the appropriate forum.

Aside from that, the jump was, overall, a blast! Looking forward to 'diving' into the sport full-time:)

The mind is everything. What we think, we become. - The Buddha

I'm currently doing my AFF at Skydive Orange.

It's one of the best/biggest DZs in the area with a really thorough AFF course and the people there are super friendly. It's got a friendly club atmosphere and they're building a new hangar.

They also have some of the newest student equipment and some of the most experienced instructors there are and a nice big twin otter with powerful engines, gets you up quick and is a lot more comfortable than jumping out of a cessna, plus you get up to 13.5k feet.

Perhaps come check it out before you commit to that place. Can't hurt.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Nausea - I had the same problem when I did a tandem but not at all during AFF jumps. I'm guessing it's because the body doesn't know what to expect because it's a new experience and the tandem instructor is making the decisions. Bit like being nauseous if you're sitting in the back of a car when someone else is driving it on a winding road in the dark, your eyes don't get the chance to warn your ear canals what's going to happen and your balance mechanism objects. If you're doing the driving the problem doesn't happen.
Anne