carofreefalls

Newbie scardy cat

Four jumps till date

1. Don't remember jumping but fell nice until I hit the ground

2. I know I jumped but landed well

3. Scardy jump from plane with 1st dp, nice canopy ride with NO RADIO to talk me in, I came in downwind but landed in the right field from ~ 20Feet straight down, that really hurt and was nearly my last jump

4. Perfect, remembered seeing the plane as I did my 2nd dp, and perfect landing (hope I can do this again!)

5. Yet to happen as it will be my 3rd dp and 1st ff - oh furk - I'm concentrating only on the 3rd dp and not getting into ff focus till I complete the 3rd dp and all within 24hrs - how is this possible, I haven't jumped twice in one day, theres always a few weeks inbetween jumps

Overall, my arch is good but not strong, and I get real scared putting my feet out the door and had a few panic attacks when the open door cess 205 banked at 180 degrees! Thought I was gonna fall out several times. Once I'm out I'm grand

So going out the door and holding my nerve before flaring are my two elephants in the room, otherwise I'm totally into this :)

So I'll hang out here and get some words of wisdom on how to hold my nerve and really start to enjoy myself (which I'm not at the mo)

Cheers!
C
Follow the momentum, however, some things are choosen for us

how is this possible, I haven't jumped twice in one day, theres always a few weeks inbetween jumps

Theres your problem, right there. Why haven't you been able to do more than one jump at a time?. Weather problems?.

You should look at getting 2 or 3 jumps in at least, in the one day.

Are you jumping in the UK?.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

My focus for the next jump is to count my breaths in and out whilst waiting on the cut and feet out - I'm hoping that this is supposed to be part of the fun??

I will try to relax more on the ground first though and try to visualise my jump end-to-end...

Hey, I'm jumping in the UK, but I've had opportunity to do more than one jump per day and had the weather for sat/sun jumps. Seems I do one, go away and evaluate the last jump till I feel confident enough to do my next one. My last jump was 2 weekends ago, I'm now on the 3rd dp and 1st ff - and feel now that I could handle this this coming weekend, though 2 in one day makes me a bit nervous.

i just read a post about a guy who did his first throw out and it wrapped around his arm cuz it went forward and not out to the side... hmm, I can wait another week to psych myself up

Take every opportunity to jump.

Over analysing can be counterproductive, what you need to do is just get up there and do it, get a good debrief from your JM and get back in the plane , with a simple task to focus on...

I've noticed on British DZ's a distinct lack of enthusiasm on the part of instructors to make things happen, and so much valuable jump time is wasted standing around with nothing going on. A lot of the instructors and JM's there need a good kick in the arse to make things happen.

In NZ many times, I've had SL students do 3 or 4 jumps on their first day, (Saturday) and another 4 or 5 on the Sunday, getting well into freefall at the end of the weekend. Good briefs and debriefs are essential, and your JM's and Instructors need to be keen and on the ball.

When you have such problems as weather, aircraft etc frequently slowing things down you need to take every opportunity to get in the air. Your confidence and progress will grow quickly if you go for it. Make sure you bring enough money to do 3 or 4 jumps per day, and if your JM's are slack arses, push them.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

My focus for the next jump is to count my breaths in and out whilst waiting on the cut and feet out - I'm hoping that this is supposed to be part of the fun??

Unless you're used to counting your breaths in your every day life, I don't see how that could help you. Inhale deeply, exhale and go. Visualizing is good but just let yourself relax. Your form will be better and it will help your opening be better because you won't be tense as your canopy is searching for air. Be confident in your training and don't be shy about asking your instructor to go over something again if you need to.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Still from what I gather DP on your third jump is extremely good progress! You must be doing alright!

Personally I didn't even remember I had a parachute on my first, was convinced I was going to die for 3 seconds. 2nd I focused on that to stop my fear turning me into a flat stiff petrified board!

3rd I'm going to worry about keeping my head up and my eye on the plane which hopefully will lead to an arch!

So keep doing what your doing, it seems to be working :)

I've also done two dummy pulls, but been let down by the recent weather. I'm looking forward to my hopefully last dummy pull, but I'm still not completely fearless. The one thing that has helped me is practice. Practice your exits, arch, dummy pulls, whatever.