sunkenstate

Recent AFF graduate in San Francisco (SDSD)

Hi all!

I recently completed my AFF course and did my first totally solo jump last week.

This website has been and will continue to be a great source of information for me.

If you see a student at Skydance in Davis, CA working towards his A license, come say "hey". It might be me!

Awesome!

Any advice you'd give to somebody who wants to take the course?

Something you'd do differently, or tell someone else to be aware of or things we should ask?

Cheers!
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

I'm reluctant to offer advice, but I can tell you what I did and how it worked for me.

I had two tandems and some tunnel time before my AFF course. That gave me a chance to observe the jump as a passenger on the first tandem, read the altimeter/pull/pilot the canopy on the second jump, and get comfortable in a relative wind freefall environment in the tunnel.

By the time the AFF course came through, I aced it.

I would ask questions - lots of them. If anything pops into your head or provides some type of lingering doubt or hesitation, get it resolved. By the time you are on the load going up, you will really wish you had asked on the ground. I almost always had the instructor run through emergency and dive flow drills with me about twice as many times as he probably would have without my requesting it.

Oh yeah... to help with potato chipping, I wrote "DICK FIRST!" on my altimeter hand. :ph34r: It worked!

Haha - the gun range is definitely still there.

After a few trips, you barely notice the constant blasting of shotguns and whatever else those guys are packing.

I love it. My FJC instructor was like "in no wind, land going north away from the power lines... but not too far north. There is a firing range there."