gunswap

Nostalgia Jumping Interests

This is my first forum post, EVER. That and the fact that I'm 61 years old should tell you that I have no idea what I'm doing on a computer. That said, I'll ask for forgiveness in advance if I break any rules or offend anyone. A brief history: First jump was July 22, 1972. Last jump was July 12, 1976. 500 jumps total. USPA Ratings (back then); Jumpmaster. Instructor, CSO, C-8418. SCR #3118, SCS #2680. As you can see, it's been a long time since I've jumped. I miss it, BAD! The main canopies I jumped back then( besides the "rags") were: T-Bow, MKI PC, American Papillion, Para- Sled. I still have the PC and Pap and although they are in great shape, my body is not. I have heard of groups that get together to make nostalgic jumps with round canopies and was hoping if anyone knew how to contact these folks in hopes that any of them might be interested in any or some of my gear. A phone number or e-mail would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help.
Whew! That wore me out! I think I'll take a nap now!

Thanks for your reply and well wishes, Mike. Most of my past skydiving activities were associated with the Ft. Rucker Sport Patrachute Club, at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. Maybe someone will remember that and respond. (Remember, I have no idea what I'm doing)

Welcome aboard!

You're in the appropriate Intro & Greets forum. Those who jump old stuff tend to hang out in the History & Trivia forum, as well as those who who actually experienced the old days.

It wouldn't be inappropriate to post there if you had some tales to tell of your days of jumping. Start a new thread for general tales, or if there's some old thread where a very specific response would be appropriate, one can resurrect those, even if they were last posted to a long time back. (Eg, there have been a couple Para Sled threads over the years.)

(Use the search function at the bottom of the screen, if one wants to search just the forum one is in, or pick "options" to pick a particular forum).

Vintage canopy jumpers are rare in any given area, but there are some around.

Vintage canopy buffs certainly do take donations of old equipment or will buy them at a small price to get the stuff back in the air.

I can get you a few names, but they're scattered across the country like in Arizona or Texas. I can see that you'd be most interested if you someone who would get the gear in the air again in your area.

(Contact screen name "Amazon", she may be in Washington state, and has jumped rounds in the last decade, but I'm not sure that she's active with that.)

I've got a couple ParaCommanders myself, a Paradactyl, a UT-15, etc., all jumped in the last few years.

Don't let the "age issue" get you down, Gary. I made a couple of jumps this weekend with two jumpers, one is 62 and the other is 73. Both are still active and current. I am confident you will get plenty of response. Lots of "more mature" jumpers still around! Blue skies!

Hi there...

Welcome to the club...I am also "older" already and I recently picked up jumping again after having been grounded for 19 years! I am also interested in older gear, my experience so far were mostly round canopies and only a few ram air chutes. Now I am back in the "student" status and have to jump a hot rod PD260;)...quite a difference to the chutes I have jumped in the past! Don't let age hold you back, we have a guy in our club who is 64, he weighs around 95kg has 30% disability status, a torn sinew in the right arm and two artificial hip joints!:o He still jumps, even though only static line, and has a PD230 main canopy! No problems so far, smooth landings and lots of fun...
I am 48 now and once I have my license back I would love to get some PC jumps, never was able to so far but I remember them well from when I was a child. I also will pick up "round" jumping with static line again, there are some great events over here where you can jump a C-47 with full military gear...over Normandy or in Holland (Arnheim). I recently bought a NOS SF10-A for this purpose. I recently read something about a 60 over 60 event in the US, that would suit you well I think. I will sign up for the 2023 event;)

Blue Skies
Uwe

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

-Leonardo da Vinci

(Contact screen name "Amazon", she may be in Washington state, and has jumped rounds in the last decade, but I'm not sure that she's active with that.)

Hell yeah I jump em.. BUT after my last jump on a modified T-10 back in 2004 I decided to keep the old stuff for WATER JUMPS.. I am just gettin old and grumpy.. and after landing that thing 25' from a dead center... I was VERY Grumpy

BIG splash beats the hell out of BIG THUD on Terra Way too FIRMA the old gear just seems to come down faster and harder than I remember "back in the day"

I have a Pap, a few Para Commanders and various RIGS WITH older rags as well as some of the first Wonderhogs.. stuffed with various Clouds... Strato Stars etc.