ttribe

Greetings from North Houston, Tx

Saying hi, hoping to meet new people and make new friends in my new found passion.

I have always been an a adrenaline addict. I have spent the last year and a half training and competing in mixed martial arts fighting. Before that it was car racing and motocross/supercross.

I made my first tandem skydive in November, my 2nd in Feb, now I am signed up for ground school at Skydive Houston starting next week. I can't wait to fly without an instructor on my back!

If anybody can suggest any other good sites for gear, education, etc... please say so.
Skydiving is good for the soul

Thanks for the info.

Yea, this is a new world for me, the lingo and abbreviations alone!

If weather allows, I am going to attempt to do as many of the AFF1-7 on my 3day weekend starting the day after ground school. Fingers are crossed.

If weather allows, I am going to attempt to do as many of the AFF1-7 on my 3day weekend starting the day after ground school. Fingers are crossed.

You'd better cross more than your fingers re: the weather. It's been a frustrating past 4+ weeks watching tandems.

They say the weather gets better through May though.

So tandems always go first or is it tandems are allowed to go in higher winds?

That would suck to make the hour drive and get nothing done... I guess, at least, can hope to meet some fellow enthusiasts. NONE of my friends want to skydive with me.

I guess Im bringing a cooler...

Section 2-1.F of the Skydiver's Information Manual says the following:

F. Winds
Maximum ground winds
1. For all solo students
a. 14 mph for ram-air canopies
b. 10 mph for round reserves
2. For licensed skydivers are unlimited

Which is found here:
http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Man_SIM_2011.pdf

On a tandem jump, the person driving the parachute is an instructor and licensed skydiver. That means there is no official wind limitation for tandem jumps. It is up to the personal discretion of the staff.

I am an AFF and Tandem instructor at Skydive Houston so if you ever have an questions feel free to shoot me a message anytime.

BTW, there are some local Houston skydivers meeting up at an Irish pub called McGonigels Mucky Duck tonight near Kirby and 59 around 8:30pm. Feel free to join :)
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

That would suck to make the hour drive and get nothing done...

Consider yourself VERY lucky to be only an hour from a good DZ W/ turbine aircraft. Many folks drive 3-4 times further! Getting to the DZ and being grounded by the weather is just part of the sport.

There is much to learn at the DZ without jumping. Just watching how other folks fly the pattern and land (both good and bad) can be quite worthwhile.

I guess, at least, can hope to meet some fellow enthusiasts. NONE of my friends want to skydive with me

It is typical that your non- jumping friends won't understand or want to try jumping. Don't worry, the skydiving community is quite welcoming. You won't be lonely and missing your friends at the DZ.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Dang -- we go to the Duck regularly. but not that night...

And welcome to the OP

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am an AFF and Tandem instructor at Skydive Houston so if you ever have an questions feel free to shoot me a message anytime.

BTW, there are some local Houston skydivers meeting up at an Irish pub called McGonigels Mucky Duck tonight near Kirby and 59 around 8:30pm. Feel free to join :)

Way cool man, thanks for the invite. Im working my ass off this week so i can take off thurs through sunday next week. Im always down for a beer. Hit me up next time.

i went with my best friend to a tandem for his birthday. we both decided to get our licenses. i have 96 jumps now, he has 1[:/]

you will make new friends at the dropzone, and will find you probably have more in common with them once you start getting into it.

even out of 30+ tandems i have brought to the dropzone,only 1 became a jumper.

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

So i did my FJC / groundschool on thursday. I was the only customer there all day, did the class by myself.

Windy all weekend, so no chance to get the first jump yet :/

Hopefully pretty soon!