Lolo8282

Starting Over

Hi everyone,
So, I started IAD last summer and scared myself away with a bad second jump. Probably not bad by comparison to what many of you have been through but as a newbie, it rocked me. I walked away saying, "not sure about this" and for several months after, flashbacks of fear made me sure I was content to keep my feet on the ground the rest of my life.
I had one tandem prior to IAD. I remember watching a licensed female, run out of the plane and I was like, "yea I want to be able to do that".
First IAD jump went great, I was so consumed by the thrill that my mind didn't really process until I was safely back on the ground. On the second one, phew, different experience. I was terrified the entire ride up, climbed out on the step, grabbed hold of the strut, kicked my feet off and was flung like a rag doll off the plane, jamming my fingers. Found out afterwards, the pilot didn't cut the speed back. I am not criticizing at all - he was great and so apologetic, stuff happens you know, just noting the impact on my psyche. I counted to three but I was stunned (my instructor said I curled up rather than arch) but the chute opened, thanks to my quick instructor, not me :)Well, to my surprise as the weather is getting nice, I'm getting this burning desire to get back up there. I can see my faults in it all - I waited too long between jumps, didn't study the maps as well as I should and prep for landing out, I let my mind play tricks on me in the plane, etc.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some background for my question. So the ache is back and I think I want to give it a real go this year and truly dedicate myself to getting licensed. So in your opinion, should I do an AFF camp (looking at Jumptown) and then spend a week or two there dedicating myself to learning and then follow up with coaching at a local DZ? Or, should I start IAD again at a local DZ?
Some of the advantages I see to the AFF camp and it may seem silly in the scheme of things is this crushing fear of hanging off the plane again with IAD. Another is no outside distractions while going through the initial training, total immersion.
I know its a personal choice but I would really appreciate any feedback from your experiences. Thanks!

I jump because I fear it and probably will to some extent forever. I overcome the fear when im on the ground. I embrace the fear and love the whole jump. $22 bucks to feel like a million.

Get up and try again.

Welcome to the forums!

Edit: AFF was easy and fun, go for it.

Welcome to the forums! :)
What is AFF "camp"? Do you get a discount for doing extra jumps there or something?

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon