sneakyj0e

Hi, want to get into the sport.

Hi, my name is Joe, and I have always been interested in sky diving, since, well I can't even remember that far back lol. I am currently a Recon marine, and have had my fair share of "exciting" adventures: Spie riging, helo casts into the ocean, fast roping out of helos, repelling out of helos ect ect... I also love to do "extreme" sports, I dirt bike alot and like to do some stunts here and there on my street bike. So you probably know I have a good sense of adventure:) and am pretty physically fit to keep up with my interests.

What I really want to get into is sky diving, I just want to know that Free feeling you know? But It's hard to try to get into with my job and all, I will be getting out soon, but I will also get into the same line of work with a private company, so I have alot of questions, like how much should I expect to dedicate into this sport, getting my A license, b license ect ect. And other things like, If I have an A license and I deploy for a few months, how can I become current again, and what will it cost me?

Any advise would be useful thanks!

First off, welcome, I am also a Marine, where are you stationed at??? Secondly, getting recurrent is easy if you deploy. The time you want to dedicate after you finish AFF or whatever program you go through is up to you. There is no time limit on how long it takes to get ones A license, B license or so on. My other question is have you made any jumps before like a tandem? Or will this be your first one?

No I haven't done tandem jumps or anything, I didnt have time to go to that school, too much training. Im stationed in Lejeune right now. But im talking aout after I get my license... like what if I have an A and I leave for 6 months, I thought there was like a 30 day limit or something...

Indeed, thanks! Thats pretty cool, so let me try and get this right... After I get my A license, I'm good to jump with whoever, as long as the last jump is within 30 days of the next one, and If I go over the 30 day mark, thenIhave to jump with an Instructor, right?

The marine corp hasn't sent me to jump school because when I got to my battalion, we were in a workup for iraq, sent me to alot of other schools like breacher, machine gun courses, all the driving courses, couches coarse ect ect, if you werent in a school or a coarse, you would be training, at the end of our iraq workup we were told we were going to afghanistan, so we ended up having a longer work up, went to afghan for 7 months and came back, started another workup/school phase, by that time I didnt have enought time left on my contract to go to to jump school. I've gone to other schools, but its kind of right place right time for different schools. either way doesn't bother me much, it's only like two weeks long, and no one really uses it except back in the states to stay current. I don't see a need to go to the Army jump school.

As for the money thing, I know skydiving is going to cost ALOT, so does every other thing you want to do thats fun lol. I spent over $700 in parts in less than a month on my dirtbike because of how much I was riding, so I can understand the demand. I also know that skydiving is a long term commitment, not something to go rushing into... but money shouldn't be too much of a problem when I get out of the marine corp, Just coordinating how and where to jump while working.

Your best bet is to obtain and read a copy of the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM).

It is our skydiving bible and it has all the information that you are asking for...and more.

You can buy a hardcopy OR download a softcopy PDF by going to USPA's website at USPA.org.

At the top of the homepage, you'll see a button "SIM".
Go there.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Question.
Whats the deal with this USPA membership thing?
Do I need one to jump or what? confused.

you do not have to be a uspa member to skydive. however, most dropzones require that you be a member in order to jump at their dropzones (so yes you basically have to be a member).

this is because the training is standardized through the uspa. the biggest perk of a uspa membership is you have 3rd party insurance.

if you mess someone else's property up you are covered somewhat.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Awesome. If you have an iphone, you can download the USPA SIM app for free. That way, you dont have to purchase it or be at a computer whenever you want to read it.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.