BBowden85

Getting Ready to Start

Well, Last August I did my first tandem, and this april I am going to do another tandem then start my AFF program. I'm going to do another the tandem since its been over 6 months, plus the first time I was so pumped I really don't even remember it. It was like a dream, and I really don't want to jump out a plane by myself without getting that feeling again with someone that knows what they are doing. I'm going to explain to whoever jumps with me to give me a step by step play on what we are doing once the parachute is out that way I have a better idea when I'm on my own controling the parachute. I can't wait I am already pumped and impatient. I can't wait to join you fellow skydivers in the wonderful worl of jumping out of planes.

Everything that happens once you are under canopy will be explained in your first jump course (FJC). I do have to ask, why exactly do you want to do another tandem? I understand you may not remember exactly what it was like when you did your first tandem. There are plenty of skydivers including myself who never did a tandem jump before starting AFF. You will be exiting the aircraft with two qualified individuals that will hold on to you until you open your parachute. Maybe some others can give you some input here because I am a fairly new skydiver, I just don't see any real value in doing another tandem before you start AFF, not to mention you will save yourself some money by not doing another tandem that you could put towards future AFF jumps or jumps after AFF.

Welcome!

Regarding a second tandem... My opinion is that the purpose of a tandem is to allow you to experience the rush of freefall without responsibility. It is mostly an emotional issue. Once you have that experience, you are ready to move forward with other modes of instruction such as AFF, IAD, or SL. I take LOTs of jumpers on AFF jumps which are their first jumps ever. The vast majority do well.

Your First Jump Course will tell you what you need to know about canopy flight to make your first jump safely. Don't get on the plane until you have your questions adequately answered.

Again, welcome!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a second tandem, except for the money.

My DZ's student program required two tandems in order to progress to the FJC. First tandem was to experience free fall for the first time. The second tandem we initiated turns, delta tracked for a few seconds, I deployed the canopy and flew it down until final approach. The experience was much more involved and I was learning too. It really wasn't until after the instructed tandem jump that I felt comfortable doing a solo skydive.

I think your TI would be happy to teach you some basics.

Yeah you all make good points. It was a toss up of whether I was going to make a second tandem or not. I'm going to talk to some of the guys at the DZ and if it seems that I will get the training I need on my first solo jump to land myself I won't worry about another tandem. Me, personaly doesn't want to do a second tandem, but I want to be safe when jumping. Thanks for the input.