pompita

Sidelined | Knee Injury

Hi Everyone,

I'm still a newbie so I think this is the right place to post.

I am an A license student and have 24 jumps under my belt. Only a coaching jump and a graduation jump stand between me and the coveted A license.

On Thanksgiving I suffered a non-skydiving related injury to my right knee resulting in a complete tear of my ACL. I go under the knife for ACL reconstructive surgery on January 5th which means that I'll be spending at least 6 months on the sideline waiting to be medically cleared once more. I have some experience with the surgery (had my left ACL done last year) and can tell you that even after 6 months I'll probably still have some issues kneeling in the plane and such prior to exit, so it may be more like 7-8 months.

Anyway, I don't have a real purpose for posting other than to vent about the whole thing. AHHH! It's very difficult for someone like me who enjoys the outdoors and who has taken a liking to the sport of skydiving to stop and shift focus to rehab an injury. I know what it's going to take to get healthy and it's a long road, for sure.

Anyone else out there that's been out of the sport for an extended period of time due to injury/illness? What about similiar stories on ACL rehab and how it translated into your return to skydiving? Like I said, I went through this last year, but I was not a skydiver then, so I'm curious what I can expect when I finally come back. Hard landings will be much more unpleasant (a motivation to work on improving them), so I may really wait it out until my new ligament is rock solid.

Also, any thoughts on the recurrency process? I've passed the 30 day mark a time or two, and the process was a quick recurrency ground school and a coaching jump. After 6-8 months off, can I expect something similar or something more?

I'll still be on dropzone.com, especially next month while on bedrest.

Thanks all!
pompita

I was playing Turkey Day football with some friends. It's a game we've played every Thanksgiving since we were kids. With age, we've gotten away from tackle and adapted to flag football.

I was playing defensive line, pushing up against the offensive lineman (probably the most physical part of our game now) and I heard the ligament pop. The sound was eerily familiar and I immediately knew what happened. Ruined my long weekend...

Nothing I can do about it now. I guess I'll have two new knees! :P

Ok so I'm not the only one out there who is suffering!

I had ACL and cartilage surgery 8 weeks ago. I had a very bad landing due to a low turn (I know, I know...). This is my THIRD acl reconstruction (the previous two were not due to skydiving) and NO is ISN'T fun. This has been the worst one yet because I destroyed my cartilage and spent 6 weeks in a Continuous Passive Motion machine and non-weight bearing on crutches. I'm walking now but with a cane.

I got my CTI brace, which I'm going to be wearing on both legs when I return to skydiving. I have been skydiving in the past with acl reconstructions on both knees and I didn't have much of a problem. I wear roller blade knee pads on both knees to protect against kneeling in the plane and on landings.

If you're going to invest in a jump suit, make sure it fits over your brace.

You're not alone buddy! We'll both be back into the air before we know it!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Hi,

I just read through your blog. So sorry to hear of your recent string of injuries! I feel lucky to have avoided the CPM machine, you poor thing.

I'm in an odd place right now since I am relatively mobile (not active, but mobile) and my surgery is still weeks away. It's allowing me alot of time to think about what's coming which is kinda strange.

Thanks for the tip regarding the knee pads and the jumpsuit. I hadn't thought about using knee pads and it makes sense to size the jumpsuit accordingly.

Get better soon. I'm sure I'll report here again post-surgery.

Blue skies!

I was playing Turkey Day football with some friends. It's a game we've played every Thanksgiving since we were kids. With age, we've gotten away from tackle and adapted to flag football.

I was playing defensive line, pushing up against the offensive lineman (probably the most physical part of our game now) and I heard the ligament pop. The sound was eerily familiar and I immediately knew what happened. Ruined my long weekend...

Nothing I can do about it now. I guess I'll have two new knees! :P

hope that you feel well now or should I say "Get well soon" :D

Merry Christmas

http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/
Bravery is the capacity to perform properly
even when scared half to death.
http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/