DSessom

You guys know how to live!

Hello all,

My name is Dwayne Sessom. I used to race motocross in my teens, and got into drag racing later in my 30's. So, I have always had some sort of "need for speed".
So, I was browsing Youtube and found Jeb Corliss and Jokke Sommers videos, and thought "Now THAT is the ultimate for adrenalin junkies!"
I am now 40, and realize that skydiving is probably a natural progression from racing. So, I have found a local DZ with really friendly and experienced folks running it. The equipment is a bit dated, but kept in good working condition and the guys running it aren't out to take jumpers money. I can get my student training and 30 jumps (For "A" license) for a grand total of $1,600USD and this DZ is the only USPA sanctioned center in my state.

I have been browsing these forums and am really impressed by the wealth of knowledge and even gear for sale! (I can't afford new canopies and containers..)

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope to be around a good long while!

Best regards,
Dwayne
-NooB-

Welcome Dwayne. You'll love skydiving. Great thrills and it's pretty cheap once you own your gear.

My advice is to jump conservatively, reasonble wing loadings (no tiny canopies), airliner style landings, stay on the ground when the conditions are marginal. Don't try to emulate Jeb Corliss, Luigi Cani or any of those superstars, even when you have a few hundred jumps under your belt. Watch them on Youtube instead. That's what I do. Orthopedic surgeons and funeral directors love extreme hook turn landings. Don't bet your life on perfect timing. As you get older your chances of cheating the Reaper diminish.

Plain vanilla skydiving should generate enough adrenaline to keep you happy, especially at age 40. Resist the temptation to keep upping the ante. I am 61 and have been jumping since 1968. Never been hurt, not even slightly. I love this sport and try to manage risk rationally so that I can stay in it for another decade or two. So far, so good.

Keep us posted on your progress.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Thank you for the replies and advice. Although I am 40, most people say I don't look or act 40. And I don't feel 40. LOL
Motocross was fun, but got boring when I started driving cars. I was a Deputy Sheriff for 4 years and that wasn't exactly what I thought it would be although I learned a lot of self discapline on that job.
Then I got into 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag racing. It was fun, but far too expensive for me to continue.
I still drive a 5.7L HEMI powered Dodge truck with a 150HP shot of nitrous - just for fun. I really don't spray it that often.

Anyway, my dad worked for the FAA back in the late 1970s and I was around airports a lot. I now work as a US Army civilian and have friends who are pilots. So, flying isn't new to me. But I've never jumped out of a flying plane and always wanted to try it. My uncle was Airborne in the Army and loved it.

I have put it off for far too long. The Jeb Corliss and Jokke Sommer videos reminded me of what I have been missing. So, thanks to them for the motivation. :)

I plan on jumping as soon as possible. I can't wait!!!
-NooB-

Jim,

I took a look at your website (Liberty Parachute Team). You have lots of info, but few photos and no video that I could see. Just wondering if you had it that way for a reason, or if you just haven't gotten around to it? I'd love to see some of your performances! :)

-NooB-

Jim,

You have lots of info, but few photos and no video that I could see. Just wondering if you had it that way for a reason, or if you just haven't gotten around to it? I'd love to see some of your performances! :)

The reason they have few videos is because when twardo started jumping, the lift to altitude was a pterodactyl and the documentation was cave paintings.:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Jim,

I took a look at your website (Liberty Parachute Team). You have lots of info, but few photos and no video that I could see. Just wondering if you had it that way for a reason, or if you just haven't gotten around to it? I'd love to see some of your performances! :)

One of the guys on the team took over as web-master two months ago and that's all he's done...[:/]

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberty+parachute+team&aq=f

Here's some stuff that will eventually make it there...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hello all,

My name is Dwayne Sessom. I used to race motocross in my teens, and got into drag racing later in my 30's. So, I have always had some sort of "need for speed".
So, I was browsing Youtube and found Jeb Corliss and Jokke Sommers videos, and thought "Now THAT is the ultimate for adrenalin junkies!"
I am now 40, and realize that skydiving is probably a natural progression from racing. So, I have found a local DZ with really friendly and experienced folks running it. The equipment is a bit dated, but kept in good working condition and the guys running it aren't out to take jumpers money. I can get my student training and 30 jumps (For "A" license) for a grand total of $1,600USD and this DZ is the only USPA sanctioned center in my state.

I have been browsing these forums and am really impressed by the wealth of knowledge and even gear for sale! (I can't afford new canopies and containers..)

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope to be around a good long while!

Best regards,
Dwayne

Welcome Dwayne, have fun in here :D
Hope that I hear some stories of your adventures ^^

http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/
Bravery is the capacity to perform properly
even when scared half to death.
http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/