Cyane

Hello!

Hi all! I joined a while ago but have just now made my first jumps so I thought I'd say hello.

I did two static line jumps today. The first I had line twists that I had to kick out of, and landed farther north than planned since I couldn't hear the radio commands very well and couldn't muster the brain power to remember which way I was supposed to be turning relative to the wind.

The second one I was even more nervous about having realized how MUCH I can only learn just by doing, and doing over and over. While working my way out of the plane I slid my hands down the strut but the second my foot left the step the wind took me and I slid right off--apparently I did a back flip in the air! This one went a bit better since I seemed to understand more how to run my canopy to not fly way off target, but my altimeter was also broken so I was VERY thankful for the ground assistance.

Right now I'm still nervous about the canopy control, particularly in the landing pattern--if you'd like to share, how long did it take you to get a feel for how the wind was going to take you relative to how you moved your canopy about?

I'm very grateful for the time spent on EPs. When I looked up at my canopy on my first jump and saw the line twists, I had a very clear "risers apart, kick to untwist, if you can't get it quickly, two hands on cutaway handle, look at reserve handle, pull cutaway, pull reserve..." train of thought.

Sorry this is so long--I had a fantastic day, have a lot to learn, and look forward to continuing to jump!

I think so, yes, and also to account for the wind direction.

I'm going to review some things tomorrow (I'm feeling kind of brain dead!), but I'm having a really hard time grasping the into the wind with minor adjustments to stay over your holding area, then turning to move with the wind to go past your target, then turning a bit to move sideways through the wind, then turning to go into the wind for the last 300 ft...it makes sense when I stop and think about it but I completely lost that during both jump. And who knows where I would have ended up without the radio assistance!

One thing that helped me when I started was to draw it out on paper. I'd draw a windsock and make an X for a target and think to myself, "now, how am I going to get here in __ winds". Since you know where you need to be at what altitude, you should be able to draw it out. It's simple, but it works!

BTW, I still do that in my head before I'm boarding the plane each time, it's a good practice to get into. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

One thing that helped me when I started was to draw it out on paper. I'd draw a windsock and make an X for a target and think to myself, "now, how am I going to get here in __ winds". Since you know where you need to be at what altitude, you should be able to draw it out. It's simple, but it works!

BTW, I still do that in my head before I'm boarding the plane each time, it's a good practice to get into. ;)

a visual
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/SIM/collison_free_landing.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.uspa.org/tabid/239/Default.aspx&usg=__24BH3tC1YUbFp9PNtsBfL2teC8o=&h=533&w=557&sz=28&hl=en&start=0&sig2=kC6vaAqls2pfJN050iuhgg&zoom=1&tbnid=3sCQZNFoYdH_HM:&tbnh=157&tbnw=164&ei=X0jrTLrbIcH48AbluamSAg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleft%2Bhand%2Blanding%2Bpattern%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D785%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=364&vpy=76&dur=808&hovh=220&hovw=230&tx=154&ty=106&oei=X0jrTLrbIcH48AbluamSAg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."