IrishDave

New to DZ.com - Hello and some advice appreciated.

Hello everyone.
Long time lurker here so you can assume I am aware of (most of) the rules and I think it's about time I finally signed up and introduced myself.

My name is Dave, I'm from Ireland, 27 years old. I'll leave out the dating site references for now as I'm not fond of walks on the beach ;)

Completely new to skydiving (I've done three tandem jumps but I don't think they count, although they are what led me to want more) so go easy on me.

Basically, I'm looking to start my AFF next month and I was wondering if I could get your advice on something. I'm in Ireland but plan to head to Australia to do my AFF and A Licence. There's a couple of DZs that offer complete A Licence "packages". These are essentially a 7-9 day intensive course to do the AFF and enough jumps to get an A License.

My question for you guys is this: Do you think a 9 day intensive course/training is TOO intensive or do you think this type of learning is suited to skydiving?

I've done my research, decided on my DZ and am now just looking for the opinions of you wise souls as to weather I should go for the intensive course or spread it out over a few months.

Any advice would be very welcome and I look forward to hopefully contributing here a lot in the future.

They wouldn't offer it if it was astronomically bad for you.

I personally would rather get it done in 9 days, while everything stays fresh. People who spread it out over months tend to forget things and have to repeat levels.

Balls to the wall, brother.

The real question isn't about the instruction. This type of course is offered in a lot of places. It's certainly doable.

The real question is about you.

Are you physically and mentally capable enough?

Are you in good enough shape to do 4-5 jumps per day for a week?

Are you mentally tough enough to assimilate all the information and be able to use that knowledge when necessary?

Remember how blown away you were after your first tandem?
It gets less overwhelming after a while, but it is still very taxing.

So the real question isn't "Is this TOO intensive for skydivng?"

It's is this type of training too intensive for you.

That's a question only you can answer.

And realistically, this training isn't appropriate for everyone. Some do better heving it jammed down their throats in one big lump, others do better with smaller sips, taken over a longer time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The real question isn't about the instruction. This type of course is offered in a lot of places. It's certainly doable.

The real question is about you.

Are you physically and mentally capable enough?

Are you in good enough shape to do 4-5 jumps per day for a week?

Are you mentally tough enough to assimilate all the information and be able to use that knowledge when necessary?

Remember how blown away you were after your first tandem?
It gets less overwhelming after a while, but it is still very taxing.

So the real question isn't "Is this TOO intensive for skydivng?"

It's is this type of training too intensive for you.

That's a question only you can answer.

And realistically, this training isn't appropriate for everyone. Some do better heving it jammed down their throats in one big lump, others do better with smaller sips, taken over a longer time.

what he said. it is all according to you and what you can handle and feel comfortable with.

i did an a license package and i loved it. i spread the jumps out more than 9 days though.

is 9 days the maximum amount of time you will have in australia?
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

+1

Leave yourself an "out" if you pursue this option. I mistakenly thought I was going to get my A in a crash course 4 day weekend (read the program details wrong). I thought, "sure I can make 25 jumps in 4 days".

When people tell you that 4-5+ jumps a day is a lot (partiually when you factor in all the learning) they are not kidding.

Otherwise, as a previous poster said, go balls to the wall and try and make it happen...either way you wont regret it. Welcome to the sport!

Edit: to add last line.

Hi Dave,
What WRJoe said. Plus, I'll add this as Devil's advocate. What happens to your money if you get hurt before finishing? A lot of students, myself included, get banged up on landings. Will you lose significant monies if you get hurt halfway through?

Hi Dave,
What WRJoe said. Plus, I'll add this as Devil's advocate. What happens to your money if you get hurt before finishing? A lot of students, myself included, get banged up on landings. Will you lose significant monies if you get hurt halfway through?

If he gets hurt it's obviously a sign that skydiving is not for him, and he should be thankful he only had to pay for the course instead of being lucky and buying all that gear and stuff and getting hurt later down the line.

Thanks everyone for the advice and warm welcome. It is very much appreciated.

The reason I am very much leaning towards the intensive course is for the exact reasons you mentioned that I should. I believe that I am in good condition physically and as with most things I do, I tend to learn better when I completely immerse myself into something with no distractions. I am exactly the type that learns better when it's "jammed down my throat".

As for the additional time, I have a year in Australia. I am under no illusions about coming out of this expert. I am fully aware that I will need to put in a lot more time than 9 days! I actually intend to hang around for another two months at the same dropzone if possible to get as many more jumps in as possible.

I've been saving for this for a long time so I have the luxury of getting in as much experience as I feel is right for me. I'm going into this with my eyes very much open and I have already committed to taking this very seriously.

As for getting hurt, if I get hurt through fault of my own, I am fully prepared to face the fact that skydiving may not be for me. I know the emphasis those in the sport place on common sense and safety and the days of being reckless are mostly in my past now :)

Really appreciate all the advice. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going to go for it. I'm nervous as hell even thinking about it but I guess that's all part of it right?

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks SkyMama!

Yea, it actually works out at pretty reasonable value, about half the cost of spreading it out over a few months. Also, because I'll be there alone, there is the social aspect to it too. I'll be with a good few others in the same boat as me. Might be a good way to make some friends while I'm alone in a new country (Although it's never been a problem before, I travel a lot alone).

One of my biggest concerns was and still is finding people to jump with after I hopefully get my A Licence. I'd be worried that I'd be stuck finding people willing to jump with someone so inexperienced. I think the option I'm going with will help that.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. I will hopefully be around here a lot more often.

One of my biggest concerns was and still is finding people to jump with after I hopefully get my A Licence. I'd be worried that I'd be stuck finding people willing to jump with someone so inexperienced. I think the option I'm going with will help that.

Easy way out of that. Lie about your jump numbers, and experience level.

Just say you have "mad skillz" and everyone will want to jump with you. Hell, they will have to make a waiting list.

Have fun!

Easy way out of that. Lie about your jump numbers, and experience level.

Just say you have "mad skillz" and everyone will want to jump with you. Hell, they will have to make a waiting list.

Have fun!

Hahaha :) I'll have to think about that. It's not like anyone would know ;)

Cheers.

Welcome!! Glad you came...

To be honest I really wish there had been a program like that in my area because I would've been all over it.

I personally feel like I could jump 10 to 20 times a day and be fine as long as I got my landings right. B| I say go for it though!

One thing to take into consideration as well is what the weather will be like. I took a month off back in september and went down to florida and did my aff/a license and I thought I could get everything done for my a license in about a week maybe 2. Well it ended up taking me about 3 1/2 weeks to get my a license because of weather. It would get really windy in the afternoons and I would get grounded. With that being said if you do decide to go for the complete package I would recommend trying to take a little more time off than what you would need if the conditions were perfect. Theres nothing wrong with having more jumps than you planned to instead of less during the trip. :)

Welcome!! Glad you came...

To be honest I really wish there had been a program like that in my area because I would've been all over it.

I personally feel like I could jump 10 to 20 times a day and be fine as long as I got my landings right. B| I say go for it though!

No wonder. They probably still pack for you.

Come back when you try 10 jumps in a day packing for yourself. It's a workout.

Sorry to bump this thread, I just thought I would come back to it in the hopes that someone with the same question in future might be better advised.

First of all, got my A Licence B|
Absolutely thrilled. Had an amazing time and spent a lot of money on beer for firsts (Including an aircraft emergency on my 7th jump where everyone bailed but I wasn't allowed because I didn't have that one extra jump)

Managed 43 jumps in 3 weeks. Changed flights to stay a little longer. I guess you can all relate to that :)
To get back on topic, the short answer to my own question, in my opinion, is that it is not possible to start from nothing and get your A Licence in a week. While it MAY be possible given absolutely PERFECT conditions, weather, especially wind is just too unpredictable. I didn't finish my AFF until 8 days in and that was from being at the DZ every day an HOUR before it opened.

Also, to those who genuinely think they can do it in a week (A Licence, not AFF), I would like to mention something I did not anticipate. Body stress. I never realized how physically draining skydiving can be. I had to take a day off after doing my first 6 jump day.

Anyway, I emailed around and asked a LOT of questions before I left. I narrowed it down to Sebastian and Z-Hills. TK of Z-Hills told me that it was unreasonable to expect to do it in 7 days while the reply from Sebastian gave me the impression that it was almost a certainty. I went with Z-Hills.

To anyone looking to what I was looking to do in future, I'd say forget it. Give yourself a lot more time. Clouds, instructor availability and wind are all too unpredictable. Besides, you're going to want to stay longer anyway :)

Oh, and bring 10 times more money than you think you will need :$

Thanks to everyone here for your advice. You were all correct. Thanks to the awesome folk at Z-Hills for giving me the best 3 weeks of my life.

Well congrats on getting your A license!

I am planning on doing the same thing basically, just in about 2 weeks this summer. Glad to hear it was Enjoyable and not too over whelming haha.

Did you happen to get any pics/vids?

Oh, and Im jealous you got to do it in Australia. one of my Goals is to skydive over there some time. $1500 plane ticket is kind of hindering that though lol
You never know, until you find out!

Well congrats on getting your A license!

I am planning on doing the same thing basically, just in about 2 weeks this summer. Glad to hear it was Enjoyable and not too over whelming haha.

Did you happen to get any pics/vids?

Oh, and Im jealous you got to do it in Australia. one of my Goals is to skydive over there some time. $1500 plane ticket is kind of hindering that though lol

Hi ArialGnome.
Thanks. It was a lot of fun.

It wasn't too overwhelming although at times it did seem like that. I also think that had I crammed everything into a week (or tried to) I would have come home exhausted and not wanting to jump again for a long time.

2 weeks in the summer, I reckon you'll be fine. I managed to get to the Everglades boogie and was jumping 5 ways (with much more experienced people) the night I got my A Licence. It was scary jumping at an unfamiliar DZ but I learned a lot.

As for Oz, while I cannot comment on that, I was VERY impressed at the professionalism of the instructors at Z-Hills.

I'll post videos shortly.

Finally, and I realize the irony of this sentence, but I got the best bit of advice from someone the night I did my first AFF jump: "Always listen to your instructors, they know best". They really do. As a student I received a LOT of advice and a lot of "bar advice" but I filtered everything through my instructors. It worked well for me.

Good luck this summer!

PS: I did some tunnel time with a coach during my AFF and Coach jumps, it was VERY VERY helpful.