RedDucati

Broken Bones

I'm interested in skydiving. A family friend was one of the few to survive a total malfunction because he landed on a huge pile of pineapple leaves in Hawaii during a training jump for the military. I have had 6 broken bones already at the age of 30. I promised my parents that there would be no more phone calls from the emergency room or ambulance after last time. Besides that serious injury is expensive as a bitch. So, who has been broken skydiving? Details? Cost? I have been bankrupt twice because of mixed martial arts and injury. I will never forget the sound of my leg breaking and I don't want to do that again.

Tyler

welcome to the forums.:)

Now to reply to the main subject you posted about..

You made an unrealistic promise you can't keep. You can not predict you will never get hurt again. If you are an adult and able to make your own choices don't worry about what your parents think. Why stop, or not try something you have a desire to do because your family looks down on the activity? That isn't a way to live life.

I know what it is like to almost be bankrupted from injuries. I know what it is like for parents to tell you to grow up. What it is like for them to say if you continue with said activity after this injury don't bother call them anymore. My injuries were not from skydiving but from another activity. My injuries are keeping me from being able to skydive. Remember, it doesn't matter what activity you do, if there is a risk factor for injury or death your parents will not like you participating in it.

So basically a nice way of putting it, grow a pair and be a man. Injuries happen no matter what activity you do.

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Broken ankle , require 3 screws to put it in, (simply hit a rock that tweeked it just right) I put 57 jumps on teh cast, returning to the sky 3 days after breaking it!

Broken foot while swooping, never had is cast, just kept jumping and avoided landing on that foot..(xrays 2 days later showed the break , even the doctor said casting it would do little, He said stay off of it, and take it easy.............LOL not gonna happen......

Ruptured Disc while filming a very heavy tandem pair,(arched too hard) Needless to say , that has been permenant damage! Damn shame I didn;t learn sit flying till that happened!

Never broken a bone

I had bumps and bruises along the way. I didn't get injuries until I got to 900 jumps. In the past year, I dislocated my left elbow, tore my left mcl, and tore my right knee up pretty badly. I'm recovering from the surgery now.

I agree with SkyMama...if you never want to be injured again, then staying away from skydiving is not the answer. I've been injuried participating in other sports as well. Being active in ANY sport makes a person more prone to injury. But our bodies are made to move, and we take that risk, no matter what we do.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Hi Red,
6 busted bones by 30?? All at once or one at a time?? Never mind the broke bones, it's your track record that will kill ya'!! No matter how slow the descent rate of your canopy is, it will drop you like a load of dirt outa' the back of a "No Class Dump Truck*" sometime!! Get on a platform about 4 feet off the turf and take a running leap to the ground below. can you make do with the landing?? There can be worse. And a lot softer but no guarantees.

* Any old farts remember,"No Class Dump Truck??"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

You made an unrealistic promise you can't keep. You can not predict you will never get hurt again. If you are an adult and able to make your own choices don't worry about what your parents think. Why stop, or not try something you have a desire to do because your family looks down on the activity? That isn't a way to live life.

False. He has made a very realistic promise. Just do what I do and DON'T call them from the hospital or emergency room.

False. He has made a very realistic promise. Just do what I do and DON'T call them from the hospital or emergency room.

+1
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Broken bones happen in skydiving. Training and experience reduce the risk, but there is still more risk than in many other activities.

The most common injuries I see are broken ankles. It happens to students too, even with the big, forgiving student canopies. I really hate seeing that happen, because it usually means that that student will not come back.

There are worse things than broken bones, see the incident forum here.

None of us want to get hurt, but we take the risk because we think it's worth it.

Welcome to the Sport, if you decide to go for it.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Basically wondering does medicinal marijuana like this http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/sour-urkle/ affect the healing process of broken bones?
Background:
So I broke my right ankle at the bottom of my tibia and tore the ligaments in both. (Racing Supercross). I was in a cast on the right for 5 weeks now with more x-rays still broken but doctor gave me a walking cast (instead of regular cast) for an additional 4. I have been smoking rather often to help with pain (in beginning) and now b/c I'm so bored and have nothing else to do.
But I'm beginning to think maybe it's hurting me in the long run. I did some research and found that cigarette smoking affects you greatly in the healing time of your broken bones. But what about marijuana smoke?

Don't smoke anything while you're trying to heal. It reduces oxygen in your system, which slows the healing process. You also have less ability to absorb calcium and other essential minerals that are building blocks for recovery.

Eat well, get lots of sleep, get some fresh air and some kind of exercise, and use ice for pain.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Sextilius

Basically wondering does medicinal marijuana like this http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/sour-urkle/ affect the healing process of broken bones?
Background:
So I broke my right ankle at the bottom of my tibia and tore the ligaments in both. (Racing Supercross). I was in a cast on the right for 5 weeks now with more x-rays still broken but doctor gave me a walking cast (instead of regular cast) for an additional 4. I have been smoking rather often to help with pain (in beginning) and now b/c I'm so bored and have nothing else to do.
But I'm beginning to think maybe it's hurting me in the long run. I did some research and found that cigarette smoking affects you greatly in the healing time of your broken bones. But what about marijuana smoke?

So you're asking whether it's a good idea to smoke drugs while you're healing? I am going to go with probably not.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/is-marijuana-safe-web#1