randyp

First Jump.had trouble breathing

I just did my first tandem jump this weekend and had a great time. I am looking forward to trying this for a second time. However I did have a problem while free falling. After leaving the airplane the instructor put us into a vertical dive until we caught up with the camera man. While in the vertical dive I was having trouble breathing from the wind speed. After leveling out I did not get any relief and still had trouble catching my breath. I did just a little better when I realized I was not properly arched and when I adjusted my position I was able to keep from passing out and catch a small breath. When the chute opened I was fine and enjoyed full breathing and loved the rest of the ride. I was not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem and what they did to solve it. I thought maybe getting a full visor helmet would help keep the wind away from my face and allow better breathing. However I am not sure this is allowed for newbee tandem diver. I normally do not have any problems breathing unless it is in a full blizzard and the wind is blowing in my face. However I am walking when this happens and can easily turn away from the wind.

A helmet is not advised for a tandem student. The reason is that if you experience whiplash or anything similar, you could hit the instructor in the face and knock him/her out. That wouldn't be very good.

Maybe you are just panicked and that makes it hard for you to breathe? Are you breathing through your mouth or through your nose? Personally, I've never heard of the issue. I'd be interested to see what others say.
Don't forget to pull!

It’s mostly just sensory overload making you “think” you can’t breath. Just relax, close your mouth and breath normally. After a few more jumps you’ll be so relaxed you’ll not even “think” you are not breathing.

Have fun and Welcome to the Sport!
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

I did a lot of "greets" for my team's tandem students, and I would hear that a lot from the earlier students (I experienced it early on as well). The advice I gave after those first few is the same as if you've had the wind knocked out of you: if you're having trouble breathing in, force a breath out. Every single person has come back to tell me that technique worked for them (as it did for me).

Not sure if it's an anxiety thing, or you're not used to that force of wind (or a combination of both?), but for some reason, that technique seems to counter it.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Thank you every one for your advice and thoughts. It is really helpful. I plan to jump again sometime again this winter in the Miami area on vacation and hope my daughter joins me again. I do not think it was nerves but as breathing was easy as soon as the chute deployed but I am sure being relaxed will help more. I will hold off on the helmet right now and try blocking the wind with my hands. Also I will make sure I have as much skin exposed to absorb all that oxygen passing by me ;) although I am not sure how much less I can wear than shorts and short sleeve. My son is now pumped and wants to jump but he is only 10 so he will have to wait until he is 18 unless we get to Australia after he is 14. (he says yes!)

It’s mostly just sensory overload making you “think” you can’t breath. Just relax, close your mouth and breath normally

So is proper technique to breathe through your nose when in free fall? I've done a few tandems and also had a lot of trouble breathing air through my mouth. For me it wasn't anxiety, it's the same when sticking my head out of a fast moving car.

Common problem for first jumpers. They breathe in, and because of the rush forget to breathe OUT. They keep trying to take breaths when their lungs are altready full, and consequently can't "breathe".

Free fall, no matter what speed does not "suck" the air from your lungs.

There is another thread on this somewhere.

Just breathe out....thats why the screaming advice works.

Breathing in the air is just the same as breathing on the ground. Breathe normally.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I had a very similar experience on my first tandem jump in Hawaii. I could not catch my breath as soon as the freefall began, I tried hard to force a breath in and out, but the air would just not move through my nose or mouth. I was not nervous or scared at all so I know it was not a panic attack, I LOVE the adrenaline rush but I simply could not get the air into my lungs. Once the chute opened, I was able to breathe normally again. I had the same breathing problem in an indoor skydiving wind tunnel; I think it has something to do with sinus problems or sinus anatomy... It totally sucks because I love the thrill of skydiving, this breathing thing is such an awful side effect. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution!

I just did my first tandem jump this weekend and had a great time. I am looking forward to trying this for a second time. However I did have a problem while free falling. After leaving the airplane the instructor put us into a vertical dive until we caught up with the camera man. While in the vertical dive I was having trouble breathing from the wind speed. After leveling out I did not get any relief and still had trouble catching my breath. I did just a little better when I realized I was not properly arched and when I adjusted my position I was able to keep from passing out and catch a small breath. When the chute opened I was fine and enjoyed full breathing and loved the rest of the ride. I was not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem and what they did to solve it. I thought maybe getting a full visor helmet would help keep the wind away from my face and allow better breathing. However I am not sure this is allowed for newbee tandem diver. I normally do not have any problems breathing unless it is in a full blizzard and the wind is blowing in my face. However I am walking when this happens and can easily turn away from the wind.

It happens to lots of folks. Just scream your brains out. It works.
As for absorbing oxygen thru your skin or swallowing air: if you cannot expel the air from your lungs, then it will work it's way out in an other fashion. :$:$
Enjoy the greatest sport there is. B|