dazz51

Just thinking of jumping

i am very keen to have ago at skydiving to see if it's something that i could do as a hobby, i'm not at all sporty but need something in my life that makes me feel alive and feel that this could be it. Also i would like to meet new people and make friendships. I live in Abbots Langley in the UK. Can anyone give advise as to where would be a good place to start (my nearest place is Lewknor) i would like to do a tandem skydive but watching the youtube videos from Lewknor they deploy the shoot after about 30 seconds and feel this quite a short time for the money.
Is there an DZ that has a good social scene bearing in mind i'm 36 years old, and accommodation?.
Many thank's in advance for you help.
Darren.

You might want to consider just signing up for an AFF course. It costs a little more than a tandem jump, but with 6 hours of ground school and a solo jump, you'd have a pretty damn good idea if you want to continue again. Or, you could always do the tandem jump but inform the instructor you might consider skydiving. He could actually give you an A-license proficiency card and help you get one or two items knocked off (like 90 degree toggle turns followed by a 180). I mean, you'd still have to go to ground school but at least you accomplish something.

And, at 36... I don't think anyone cares, honestly. People of all ages socialize and drink beer after hours at a DZ.

As for me... I think I was in the same boat when I started skydiving. I graduated college and had a degree in something I don't care all that much about anymore. It seemed like all my times of fun were up and I needed shit to do. So last October I went on a month long road trip out west (here in the US). That was fun... but, I needed more. So in February, I picked up skydiving. Honestly, I think these two events have changed my life. Maybe it'll change your life and maybe it won't... but, my advice is to follow your gut.
Don't forget to pull!