doughboyshred

First jump is scheduled!

I have scheduled my first jump for next Saturday. Static line at Skydive snohomish. I am planning on doing the static progression, but might not be able to fully get going till next spring. As it is I am as excited as all get out about this jump. Ten days of anticipation. Can't wait.

Ten days of anticipation followed by a lifetime of amazement and wonder! Enjoy every second:)

3 days to go. Woo hoo.
Still a bit nervous, but more excited than anything. Works been going good too, so I think I am going to be able to jump right in to getting my license. So stoked.

Noticed that some other people are posting their goals in skydiving, figured I might as well do the same.

I want to fly fast. I guess that means freeflying head down?
I have no desire to do any group jumping, synchronized stuff. I don't get the appeal.
Long term goal is to feel at one with a wing suit. I also want to get in to BASE, once I have enough jumps under my belt. Eventually I want to BASE with a wing suit. I know that's a huge goal, and will take a lot of time to get to, but honestly, it's more than just a whimsical goal, it's my life focus at this point.
I am thinking 5 years away if I can get enough jumps in.

Thanks for the great website also. I have read a lot of interesting stuff on here. I look forward to being able to contribute as I progress in the sport.

3 days to go. Woo hoo.

I remember counting down to my first jump. For a whole week I kept thinking to myself "WTF... I'm jumping out of a plane in a few days!" I barely got any sleep the night before the jump.... maybe 4 hours? It was like I was 8 years old and excited on Christmas morning.

I have no desire to do any group jumping, synchronized stuff. I don't get the appeal.

Honestly, I bet you'll change your mind. I'm generally not a big people person myself (I think I burned myself out with college parties). And, when I first started, I was excited to do the solo jumps. I found that I was getting bored. I started having fun again when I jumped with coaches and then when I got my license and learned how to do some less-than-educating exits and jumps just for shit and giggles. Plus, it's always good to have a reference point with you so that you know that you're doing maneuvers properly. Like, the ground isn't going to tell you shit about how good your side-slides are...

Long term goal is to feel at one with a wing suit. I also want to get in to BASE, once I have enough jumps under my belt. Eventually I want to BASE with a wing suit. I know that's a huge goal, and will take a lot of time to get to, but honestly, it's more than just a whimsical goal, it's my life focus at this point.
I am thinking 5 years away if I can get enough jumps in.

There's a guy that I know that started BASE within a year. Wingsuit BASE will take years, however.
Don't forget to pull!

Amazing. I feel normal for a minute or two and then I get another pump of adrenaline thinking about the day.
Skydive Snohomish was great. All of the staff were wonderful. Instructors were great as well.

Climbing out of that tiny little plane to hang off of the strut just didn't seem right. I am a big boy so I got to jump first out of our load. I wished that I had someone to watch do it before my turn, cause that was some seriously scary shit for me.

My body position was horrible and as soon as I let go of the strut I was twisted and flipped upside down. As the chute opened some of the suspension lines wrapped around my wrist. I have a nice rope burn and a huge bruise. I then noticed line twist. At first I started kicking, and then I remembered to pull the risers apart and they cleared up quick.

Flying under canopy was amazing. I was surprised at how peaceful of an experience it actually was. I got to make some great spiraling turns including a last one that brought me in hot to the landing zone. A perfect flair (at least in my mind) brought me in for an incredibly soft landing, which was a pleasant surprise.

All in all it was an amazing day, and I can't wait to go again. Not sure how I am going to afford it, but it's on now. Going back next week to start getting my license.