JMantheDrumMan

Jump #1 was the greatest day of my life.

Hi everyone. My name is Jason and two weeks ago, on Aug. 8th, 2010 at approximately 4:15 pm, I made my first tandem jump and since then it's all that I can think about.

Ever since I was 6 years old I've dreamed of jumping out of a plane and last chirstmas, my girlfriend bought me a voucher for one tandem jump at Skydive Houston. I finally got a round to redeeming it and it was the single most memorable experience of my entire life.

My buddy had done his first tandem about a month before me and told me all about it. He said that he wasn't nervous until he got on the plane... then the anticipation grabbed hold of him. For me it was a little different.

We got to the DZ about 30 minutes before our reservation just to be safe and ended up waiting around for about an hour and a half. No big deal, the atmosphere was so awesome that I didn't mind the wait at all. My girlfriend was getting more nervous by the minute, but I was surprisingly calm. After getting all harnessed up, we were out to board the plane. I was the first to board with my TI, Adam. What a great guy. He made me feel extremely comfortable. For me, the nerves didn't hit until my toes were on the edge of the door. Suddenly, staring two and a half miles down, my whole body screamed, "THIS ISN'T RIGHT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" and then out we went. As soon as my feet left the plane, all fear and anxiety vanished. It was PURE ELATION. Every second of my skydive put me in a state of complete and utter happiness. Honestly think that the canopy flight was the coolest part. the feeling of making even the gentlest of turns was incredible. After the jump, the day only got better. My girlfriend and I ended up going to our favorite sushi place and had a fantastic meal, then watched Burn After Reading, one of the Coen Bros. best movies, IMHO. It was seriously the greatest day of my life. Needless to say, I'm completely hooked. I called SDH a week later to make my reservations for AFF Level 1. If I can afford it, and if they have time, I'm going to try and make my first 3 AFF jumps this weekend. It can't come soon enough.

I've been lurking around these forums for about a week now, absorbing as much info as I can. Not to mention watching hundreds of videos from where ever I can find them. And it's only made me more excited and reassured me of my decision to make this part of my life. I'm not so sure my mom is too excited about it. Not so much the fact that I'll be jumping out of a plane, but that I'm going to spend nearly 2 and a half grand on learning how to do it. Oh well... I can't stay away. I came across another user's signature yesterday and I'm sorry I can't remember whose it was but I'll end my first post with it because it is exactly how I've felt these past two weeks.

"...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return."

Blue Skies, everyone.

It's an amazing feeling, isnt it? I did my first Tandem on the 5th August and unfurtunately due to lack of funds will have to wait until November before I can begin a course. But yes, its all i can think about also! I was on a high for days and spend every waking moment watching films about it, reading about and driving everyone else nuts about it! :D There no going back now! lol

Welcome to the skies! Your story reminds me so much of my own. You drank the kool-aid, just like I did almost a year ago. Have fun man, and kiss your bank account goodbye :D

"...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci