Lsuno

Straight to AFF or some tunnel time first?

Hey everyone,

Well this is pretty self explanatory. I am wondering if it's a good plan to get some good pre AFF belly flying skills or not? Would tunnel time be more beneficial now or after I have the essentials down? I'm not worried about completing AFF, just looking for the way that grows my skill the quickest as I'll be buy a wingsuit tomorrow. Just kidding :P

I did a tandem several weeks ago and it seems that it's fairly easy to get hooked on this sport. Took out a student loan for my AFF course. :$ I figure since I am young I can waste money now and suffer when I am old.

Thanks for any replies.

I think 15 minutes in the tunnel is plenty to learn how to fall stable, hold your heading, and probably do some simple turns. Knowing how to do that will keep you from worrying about freefall so that you can spend more time worrying about other things, like exits and landing your canopy. Don't think that your first time in freefall will be as easy as the tunnel though. You'll still have to deal with the probable sensory overload and resulting brain lock. But it is nice not having to worry about going into a flat spin when you get released the first time. You might even save some money if it keeps you from having to repeat levels.

I did tunnel time first and I'm real glad I did.

Have fun!!! :)

It isn't an either/or question. Below is a link to a program that combines both tunnel and freefall into their AFF program. The videos on the page linked below show some mighty impressive student preformance on the first freefall jump. If my son or wife wanted to do AFF I would probably send them to this program @ Skydive University.

http://www.skydiveu.com/tunnel.php

I seem to recollect that Skydive Arizona and Skydive Perris Valley both have programs that blend tunnel and freefall in AFF too. I suspect that there other DZs that do this too.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Thanks for the responses guys. I have looked for a DZ that does some type of wind tunnel integrated program, but have yet to find one in my state (Florida). So it seems the consensus so far is that tunnel time is a good thing whenever you do it. Guess I will do some now and then more later. I called the only tunnel I know of and it sounds like I can be in the couple hundred dollar range for a good block of time. Where would I go about finding a coach for such an event? I'm tight on money but I feel like this is a sport where skimping is a bad plan.

Thanks again guys.

I have looked for a DZ that does some type of wind tunnel integrated program, but have yet to find one in my state (Florida).

I guess you didn't follow the link I offered. Skydive university jumps at Deland and uses the tunnel in Orlando. You have what you want, where you want it.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks!

Well honestly that's kind of up in the air. The idea of the wind tunnel integrated AFF has me thinking Deland. However, I'm from Vero so Sebastian is close, but I go to school in Tallahassee, so the school of human flight makes more sense at this point. I spoke with a woman from the quincy DZ and they are gonna hook me up with someone to teach me to pack ASAP so that's awesome and makes me want to do business with them. Any advice?

I basically resorted to getting some tunnel time after I starting trouble with turns in free fall. It might be beneficial to do it first or maybe blending it would be best. I say just go find out and let us know how it went.

FSU-sweet! I'm going up there today to help my son move in to his apartment. A skydiver friend of mine, Will Welbon, goes to FSU and I think his dz is Quincy. Find him on FB or at the skydiving club at school, I bet he could answer all your questions about the dz. In my opinon, you might as well do your training where you're going to be spending most of your time.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

@bluetwo. Yeah the stable free fall was my goal with the tunnel. At this point I'm thinking I'll go for it and hope I'm not a spinner ;) tons and tons of people get through AFF without tunnel so maybe I can.

@skymama. Oh wow what a coincidence! Is your son a freshman? I was pretty pleased with how friendly the DZO at Quincey was to me and it is a little closer than Sebastian :)

You should go straight to AFF and maybe do some tunnel time after that. That's what I did. AFF 1 isn't all that hard... just arch really hard, do your practice touches (very important), stay altitude aware, and follow what ever instructions your instructors give (hand signals and what not). The key to doing all of this is RELAX!!!!!!!!

I did 15 minutes of tunnel time after AFF 5 I think... and while it did help me learn more about body position, I really didn't need it all that much. I could have saved that money for more jumps... because, freefall skills are learned much faster than canopy skills... and, you can't practice flying the canopy while in a tunnel.
Don't forget to pull!

I'm going in for my AFF3 class, but first I'm gonna go do
5 min in the tunnel on monday and prolly drop on Thursday. I'm just doing it so I can practice a little belly stability along with some
other manuevers. My plan is to go in with a particular dive flow. Every 10sec once there is a minute left in the tunnel flight I am going to practice executing certain tasks, L360, R360, stable, practice pull (I know I won't be wearing a rig but just the movement) F-loop, B-loop, and at 5 sec left wave off. I'm a total newb, obviously, but at least for me if I feel that if you go in with a dive flow in mind you'll also be training yourself to think and execute during your FF. In reality though, once I get certified- not licensed - I would much rather spend the 80 for the real deal. But however you decide to approach it you are gonna love the rush once you make your first jumps, have fun with your new adventures!

Does anyone know if any of the DZ's in the UK ofer a combined tunnel and AFF program? Instead of doing my static line in november it looks like I am going to do the AAf in early spring as my other half has offered to combine my birthday and xmas "presents" giving me some of the money towards it :)

Hi Everyone

Hoping all is well for you all.

Im Ariel and recently joined the site and new to the sport - must say Im loving the unity and welcoming nature of experienced divers

. This sport is amazing and its reflected in those who participate. I could go on but bet you all can relate to the excitement! :0)

LSUno- Im also pursuing my A class and must say Tunnel time is an immensely useful tool to build confidence and help you along your diving licensing and career. Every min in the chamber is like a freefall- so you really get to hone in those skills especially when weather doesnt allow for jumping. Go for it whenever possible M8!

Blue Skies

~A