Nightingale

RW full-face helmet for contact lens wearer

I want a full face helmet. I'm doing enough RW that I think its warranted now.

I went into square1, wanting to demo one... they didn't have one that fit. All their demos were larges/extra larges, and I need a medium or maybe small.

So, people out there who wear contacts, what full face helmet works for you and why?

When I wear a full-face (occasionally in the winter) I still put goggles on underneath as a precaution (plus they're tinted so its not so bright) just to make sure I don't lose a contact. I have seen a few face shields come off in freefall and I have left the plane with mine up as well (but closed it just after exit) a few times so goggles is a good backup for me...

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

My fiancee' wears contacts, and is very sensitive to dust, etc. getting in her eyes. For that reason, I got her a Z-1 helmet, which has a good seal on the face shield when closed. I have an Oxygn A3, but it allows a fair amount of wind to get in during freefall.

She has put about 10 jumps on the Z-1, and just loves it. You could try hers on for size, but it is an XL.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I went into square1, wanting to demo one... they didn't have one that fit. All their demos were larges/extra larges, and I need a medium or maybe small.

Square 1 currently has XS, S, M, L, and XL demo Oxygn A3 helmets for demo, as well as Boomerangs in all the above sizes.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I wear contacts and have had great success with a Z-1.

I've put about 150 jumps on it, and I've done RW, Sit, HeadDown, and tracking jumps with it and have no problems with my contacts or even noticing wind on my face.

I have had it open in flight once, but when that happened, I had no problem reclosing it and had no problems with my contacts when that happened.

I also flipup the visor after opening and have no problems with my contacts then either...

Hope that helps and enjoy your new helmet whatever your choice!

-kjarv

I wear an Oxygn A3, and I have contacts.

I have no problem. The amount of wind I feel inside the face shield is about the same as if I were standing outside in about 10 kts of wind.

I think factory divers let a little more in than that, since there is a larger space at the bottom of that face shield.

I would demo as many as possible and see which one works best for you.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I think I am going to have to agree with a few of the other posters in this forum. The Z-1 is the way to go. At least for me any way. I like the way they designed the face shield with the easy locking mechanism and also the shield seems more durable. I love mine. However I think that there are a few new helmets that are out now. I am deployed with the military and have been out of the loop for about 4 months. I wear contacts and have had no problems. Actually I lost a pair of goggles in freefall and didn't loose a contact then. I was pretty amazed. Anyway, go for the Z-1. You'll be cool. :-)

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

Square 1 currently has XS, S, M, L, and XL demo Oxygn A3 helmets for demo, as well as Boomerangs in all the above sizes.

Ah... perhaps those were checked out, since I was asking in the middle of a boogie.

Z-1. I've tried others and the Z-1 is just the best, in my not so humble opinion.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well, along with everyone else I have been using a Z1 for over 650 jumps now and love it. The visor is very strong I have witnessed friends leaving the plane with them open and the visor did not blow off, just try that with a Oxygen. I have as Oxygen sidwinder helmet and love it for video but the visor is flimsie and has a bunch of surface cracking from it flexing ( the helmet has less than 30 jumps on it total). I find it interesting that at first the visor was way too stiff as far as the setting most of the time I would not even bother trying to open it or close it becasuse of the hassle but after 30 jumps it opens much better but without a doubt the Z1 is a far better helmet in my opinion.
Kirk

Well, along with everyone else I have been using a Z1 for over 650 jumps now and love it. The visor is very strong I have witnessed friends leaving the plane with them open and the visor did not blow off, just try that with a Oxygen. I have as Oxygen sidwinder helmet and love it for video but the visor is flimsie and has a bunch of surface cracking from it flexing ( the helmet has less than 30 jumps on it total). I find it interesting that at first the visor was way too stiff as far as the setting most of the time I would not even bother trying to open it or close it becasuse of the hassle but after 30 jumps it opens much better but without a doubt the Z1 is a far better helmet in my opinion. Oh and I have contacts and have never had an issue with either helmet as far as contacts go but do to the weak visor in the Oxygen I would once again advise to get a Z1
Kirk

I have been testing different helmets and decided to recently purchase a Z1. It has the least amount of wind beneath the visor during freefall, is more sturdy (IMO), and fits more comfortably. The Havoc was a close second. The only thing that I didn't like about the Havoc was the way the helmet secures (lone chin strap). It's almost impossible to lose the visor from a Z1 during freefall. Oxygen's lose them all of the time. I even purposely jumped with the visor open on a Z1 and as long as I didn't look face down, I barely felt any wind in my face at all.

My 2 cents.

David
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

I jump an Oxygn and I've never had a problem with my contacts, plus I can breathe in that helmet. I put a few jumps on a Z1 once and I hated it. But thats because I'm kind of claustrophobic and the Z1 is not a good helmet if you are.

I have put about a hundred jumps on my factory diver and I have never had a problem with my contacts. It's a good helmet for the price. The only thing that I don't like is the audible pocket. I have had my protrack fall out a few times while walking out to the plane.

Any full face will do you well.

I used an Arrow head years ago with contacts for like 500 jumps and had no problem. (Not sure they are even made anymore)

Used a Factory diver for well over 1500 jumps with out a single problem.

Now I have an Oxygen...But also LASIK...But still I have never had a problem...

I have seen Z1's flip open more than Oxygens.

If you can afford it get a flip up....But don't flip it up unless you need to. This saves wear on the device that holds it down...Most times when a visor flips up its due to the latches being worn out...

I only flip up my visor if it gets fogged while under canopy.

Its an added saftey device.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have seen Z1's flip open more than Oxygens.

That's interesting, because I've noticed the exact opposite. In the last 3 months I've seen or heard of 2 jumpers losing their A3 visors in freefall. One guy has replaced it 3 times on his new A3. The other, finally took it off completely and uses goggles, like the majority of A3 owners in SoCal. The guy that replaced his 3 times finally sold it and bought the old Pimp Daddy mindwarp. A deal he found on dz.com. Anyway, that's not to say that a Z1 is perfect; just what I've noticed lately.

that's not to say that a Z1 is perfect; just what I've noticed lately.

I have seen way more Z1's flip open...Were these guys freeflying or doing RW? I have no idea which is better for Freeflyers.

The Z1 seems to flip open more after "incidental" contact doing RW...The button is right in the front and gets pushed down releasing the visor..

Like I said if these guys are freeflying I have no idea.

Most freefliers I know wear an factory diver and goggles or some "half" helmet with a bunch of cameras on them;)

Almost ANY helmet will be good for the average jumper. Most jumpers don't need a 400.00 carbon fibre jet pilot helmet with the gold trim....They don't protect THAT much more.

A flip up visor is a good saftey feature in my opinion, but I never flip it up unless I have to, and that saves wear on the helemt and prevents it from opening on accident.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334