SJTurner

Freedom

I recently did a tandem up at Eloy and am looking into AFF. I had wanted to go skydiving for a long time but it wasn't until my boyfriend (basically fiance) passed away that I decided to do it. The whole incident with him dying really taught me to not wait to do things that interest you.

Leading up to the jump, I wasn't scared, excited, or anxious. I was still completely numb from his death (jumped less than 2 months after he passed). I went up in the plane being completely comfortable with the risks. I was with a talented TM, and yet I still felt I was challenging god or whoever to take me as unfairly as they took the love of my life.

I don't want to leave my life up to anyone else. I don't want to play it safe and do everything right just to have it taken away in the blink of an eye. I want to know that I am the one saving myself each time I jump. So even though I don't have an exciting story about my first jump, I can honestly say I understand why you jump out of plane and risk your life.

It's freedom, pure freedom....

Has anyone felt similarly about their reason for jumping or taking control of their life?
‎"... and once you have tasted flight, you will
walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."

My first tandem I did for a lark, but I'm now working toward my A license because the thought of really learning how to skydive scared the crap out of me. That said, I find that each jump reminds me to live with urgency. Skydiving certainly complements the Budhist death meditation!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Welcome to the forums and to the skies. I went and did my first jump because my girlfriend insisted that we needed to go now I have more jumps than she does!

Skydiving certainly is one great way to enjoy life and I agree about the freedom part. Mother nature never intended for us to do it but yet it feels so natural and right. Best to you and I hope you keep with it.

I too found skydiving after losing my soulmate. I did my first jump 10 months after my husbands passing. I went on a day marking what was an important anniversary to him. I never once thought it would be something I loved, had to do more, just thought I would do it to honor him.
What happened though is I found that my world lit up, for the first time since his passing. I felt better than I could remember feeling in a long time, it was like the world came back into technicolor.
I've never been one to not live my life in it's fullest capacity. I can honestly say there were no regrets when my husband passed, we lived our lives full of love and enthusiasm. I was worried however, after he died, that I wouldn't ever feel that way again. Skydiving gave me that enthusiasm back. It gave me the courage to trust myself, to trust others, the ability to be vulnerable - and to persevere.
I haven't been the exemplary student. I'm proof that the ol saying "if at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving" is malarky. What I do have is the courage to be afraid and do it anyway, to mess it up and try again, to learn to say I don't know how, to look silly, to share my victories, accept my limitations... and in return I get the freedom, those beautiful minutes of freefall and canopy time, where I'm truly free and as present in the moment in time as I've ever been.
Welcome to the sky - hope you persevere, and find your wings!
Andrea

I am so absolutely happy that you added your story of losing your soulmate. You described everything I am still currently feeling, and you just gave me hope that I won't always feel lost or numb.

Thank you, truly.

And I'm sorry that you lost him. The pain is indescribable and unknown to most.
‎"... and once you have tasted flight, you will
walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."