sydneyowen

Is it July yet?!

Hey there everyone!

Just wanted to drop by and say hello - I'll be starting AFF in July *fingers crossed* and am thrilled to find a community as resourceful as this one!

I did my first tandem in 2005 at Skydive Space Center in Titusville (can you say STUNNING VIEWS?) and I knew I wanted to do this for real someday. But, as the story goes, I was in college/working at Disney and funds were tight. I went again this March at Skydive Temple outside of Austin, TX and I was reminded of how much I LOVE this sport! Now that I'm graduated and employed, I can't wait to get certified!

I'm in Chicago now - does anyone know of/have a preference towards Skydive Chicago or Chicagoland Skydiving for AFF?

Seems like a passionate crowd here - I look forward to getting to know you guys!

I've been to Skydive Chicago, but not after they moved to their current location. I had a great time the one time I visited them. They are very progressive in their teaching methods, or at least they were back then (13 years ago)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know nothing of CSC, so take this for what it's worth.

I've been to SDC and it's great. There's a few DZ.com wingnuts down there too.

I met a few of the instructors, and saw a bit of the student gear and would have no problems sending someone there.

It's an all-around first-class facility, except when a thunderstorm takes out the power. (Summerfest last year - they had a backup generator for essentials, but that didn't include the well pump).

Considering what you are going to be doing - trusting them with your life - a visit to each might be a good idea. Neither is all that far away.

And depending on where you are in Chicago (it isn't a small place) Skydive Midwest might also be an option. It's about 15 miles north of the Wisconsin border. It's also a good place to go. Just watch your speed on I-94, the Wisconsin cops are not very lenient.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Did a tandem where I actually learned something last weekend. Definitely got me pumped up for AFF. Looks like I'm not waiting until July. CSC is awesome - the group there is great and so willing to help and teach.

Ground school Friday night, camping at the DZ and getting going on my solo jumps on Saturday.

Looking forward to AFF - anything you wish you knew before you started?

I think both CSC and SDC are good choices. I made 2 tandems at CSC, my daughter has made 3 tandems there, and I have a few other friends and family who have jumped there also. But I chose the AFP program at SDC for my training.

I've spent many hours at each dropzone, and even though they each have very different vibes, I find them both pretty awesome. I see myself jumping at both of them pretty regularly once I have my A license. Maybe we'll be jumping together some day.

Good luck with your training, and remember to just relax and have FUN! :)

Looking forward to AFF - anything you wish you knew before you started?

Hi. You've already done it by doing a couple of tandems before beginning your AFF training (I really wish I had done at least one first). The only other thing is to learn to pack right away (if you haven't already). I put that part off and it's still haunting me.***

Sounds great! What is the vibe like at SDC? I'll have to get out there once I get my A license!

Comparing SDC to CSC is like comparing big city life to life in a small town. It seems odd calling CSC the 'small town' since they are a two turbine dropzone, but compared to SDC, they are the little guy.

Just as an example, consider this weekend. If you were on a weather hold today at CSC, you may have found yourself playing volleyball with your instructors and other experienced skydivers and students, or just sitting around chatting with them and learning a lot as a result. At SDC you would have found yourself in the company of Arizona Airspeed (I think the best formation skydiving team in the world), the Golden Knights, Perris Fury, and other great teams. But all that talent is a little intimidating, and unless you're a very outgoing person, you're not likely to learn much even though you're rubbing elbows with some of the very best in the world.

Personally, I'll be jumping at CSC on Wednesdays because of their $15 to 15k deal, and because I absolutely love how friendly and helpful the people there are. But I'll also be jumping at SDC for the more exciting pace they offer.

If you never come to SDC any other time, at least come for some of the Summerfest events in July or Nationals in September. You might just get to meet some of the best skydivers in the world.

Good luck with your AFF. I've met at least two of your instructors (Nathan and Eric), and seriously, you won't find any better than those two. I think you made a good choice. Have fun! And Blue Skies!!!!

Spinning line-over malfunction. I looked up at my canopy and instantly thought of the flashcards we go over in ground school that show us the different malfunctions. My first thought was "what is this called and how do I get out of it?"

I tried pumping the brakes, nothing. Pulled the cutaway handle and by the time I had reached for the reserve handle, the RSL had already deployed the reserve.

I tell you what, the velcro on the brakes on my reserve was TIGHT. I did the rest of my reserve ride taking deep breaths and thinking "holy shit I did it" and landed, standing up, smack dab in the middle of the landing area. It was a glorious thing!