FlyingSquirrel7

Hello from Chicago IL USA

Hello everyone! I have been out twice with a monkey on my back (tandem) and this year I have decided to pony up and do the AFP course and get my licence. I really would like to purchase my own gear from the start so I don't have to rent, but I have no idea where to start. Could you all offer some advice?

This seams like a wonderful community and I'm looking forward to learning all I can about life in the sky. My goal is to end up in a flight suit :)

Don't worry about buying gear yet. The student gear has some special features you don't really need on sport gear. You will also start on a huge student canopy and downsize through several sizes as you progress as a student. The gear you will want as a new "A" license is not appropriate for a first jump student (and you will probably move on from your first rig in a fairly short time too).

As a student the most you will want is your own helmet, goggles and altimiter (maybe jumpsuit too, but if you look in Gear and Rigging, you will see a bunch of recent threads arguing about a first suit).

And be nice about the "monkeys". A lot of them could be your AFP instructors too.:P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo