Nightingale

Stowing breaks

My dad and I were having a conversation today, and he asked me how one packs a parachute. So, I explain. When I got to the stowing brakes thing, he asked me why. I paused and realized I have no clue whatsoever. I was taught to do it, so I do it.

So... Why do we stow brakes?

Setting the brakes slows down the forward speed you have on opeing, reduces the opening "surge", and depending on design, helps promote certain opening characteristics such as speed, heading, and inflation properties. Perhaps Brian G. can elaborate further. At any rate, it should be the goal of every young skydiver to gain a full understanding of all of their equipment. Even if you don't want to rig, take a rigger's course, and you will be amazed at all there is to know. Knowing your gear inside out will make you a more competent and confident skydiver.

Tree :)

So... Why do we stow brakes?

Having the brakes stowed translates to quicker inflation time. There is "less" canopy to pressurize so it will start flying quicker.

Im sure it also deals with having the canopy stay under control during and right after the deyployment.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I'll agree with that. I was experimenting a bit recently with not stowing my brakes on my Lightning. With the brakes stowed it opens very consistantly quick and on-heading. Without them stowed it opens slower but more unpredictably - line twists or off-heading openings..
W

and whn the brakes (not breaks) are stowed your canopy flies slower, which can be an interesting feature when your separation abilities are not soooo good. And by flying slower, everything happens slower, like linetwists etc....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

the reason for deployment brakes is very simple.as a ram air canopy inflates it starts to plane forward through the air.when it does , the front,unpressurized portions of the canopy will tuck under (i.e. the canopy is trying to run itself over),causing a malfunction.steve snyder(founder of para flite inc)discovered the problem in 1967 when he first started working wth ram airs.he designed and patented deployment brakes.

It's the only modern-day canopy I've heard of so far, but a guy I jumped with in Kentucky was jumping (I THINK) an Icarus 330 Tandem canopy on which you DIDN'T set the brakes before packing. He said "wanna watch me set my brakes?" ... then he shoved the toggles into the keepers and went right on packing. On the risers it had a patch that said "no brake settings on this canopy" or something to that effect.

It was something different...

Elvisio "muddying the waters" Rodriguez