Corinna01

Getting ready for AFF~

Hello!
My name is Corinna and Im hooked!! I did my first tandem labor day weekend and have been obsessed ever since. I have made plans to start my AFF course this weekend, but now it looks like the weather is going to be lousy. The folks at the outfit where I'll be jumping suggested coming and doing the ground course and possibly having to wait for the actual jump for another weekend. Im ok with that at this point. I guess my real concern is that I wont be able to finish the course before the end of the season. Would I have to start all over from scratch if that were the case? Ahhh, I dont want to wait, but I also dont want to do a bunch of stuff only to have to repeat it in the spring....

Greetings. I know exactly how you feel. This stuff is keeping me up at night.

Doing training over is really a question you should ask your Instructor. Get the facts.

My guess is....it all depends on where you are in your training and how long it's been between jumps.

:)
~Hold

Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Congratulations. Welcome Aboard.

1. Discuss the weather issues with the local DZ...they know what you can expect.

2. Be patient. At my DZ in springtime the issue that grounds students most often is wind. However, the wind often settles down just before dusk. The patient students often are grounded all day and then are able to jump on one of the later loads in the day. That was my story. I spent many a day watching the wind blow, waiting for my moment. I often only got one jump per day done. However, I made good use of the time on the ground. I watched landings... lots and lots of landings. I learned a lot by watching. I also made friends at the DZ watched everything, asked lots of questions and generally tried to be active while not jumping.

3. If the locals tell you to expect lots of delays due to the onset of fall and that you probably won't get licensed before springtime.... consider a trip to a warmer place and knocking out you training in a week or so. Several warm places come to mind:

Skydive Arizona
Perris Valley Skydiving
Skydive Spaceland
Skydive Deland

and of course my home DZ... Skydive Dallas (although we do have some chilly months of jumping).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hello!
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and advice! I am going to go and hope for the best. The DZ where I will be doing a majority of my jumps has told me that if Im doing well and it is more than 90 days between jumps, they offer a refresher course that I can take without having to repeat all jumps already completed!!! Yipee!!! Im am so jazzed. I have experienced nothing like this before. The excitement and anticipation are almost too much!! The atmosphere at the DZ is indescribable, I love it! I will have absolutely no problem just hanging around and watching or talking to people if the weather is not coducive to jumping.
I told my hubby this morning (who is not at all interested in skydiving) that I would have NO problem running off to skydive every weekend. He said he'd rather I didnt, but wouldnt stop me if thats what I really wanted to do...what a guy!! Anyway, I could just ramble on and on about this great sport. Im sure most of you know how I feel!
Thanks again and I will definitely keep you posted.

Blue skies!

Corinna

Thanks for the advice skymama! I put up with him taking off every weekend in the winter to snowmobile, so I figure its a trade-off....lol.
The weather forecast has improved for the weekend! Yahoo, as it stands now, it looks like I will be able to do at least my first jump if not more....keeping fingers crossed.

Corinna

Hey glad u liked it your first jump!! I am new to this sport to but I did my 1st AFF level and moved with new job for work and b4 I knew a year had past. Well I had to jump again so headed back to ASC and dude worked it out so that day I did AFF levels 2 & 3. So goodluck and let me know how your adventure goes!!

Hello!
Completed AFF ground training, but it was to windy for student jumps. I ended up doing a working tandem, but am anxious to do AFF. Will try next weekend and hope weather cooperates! They said the working tandem counts as my AFF jump 1, but I dont want to short change myself. I know the working tandem is nothing like an actual AFF jump. So I will do my AFF jump #1 so that I get the full effect.....I love this!!! Its been life changing, thats for sure:)

Corinna