HoldtheIce

Good Grief !!! Where do I start?

Hello all,

I've been reading some of the writings in the Safety section here for new jumpers. I have a lot to learn. I have my first Static scheduled for September. Was it overwhelming at first? Landing patterns, knowing when to flair and not to flair, wings level….

The last thing I want to do is face plant and be picking turf out my ears. I can’t wait!

I do fly 2 string Sport Kites so I have a small concept of wind characteristics.

Please advise, thanks all

~Hold
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Welcome!
The first few jumps feel like there is soooo much to remember. Listen to your instructors and remember to have fun with it (but seriously listen to them). After all, isnt the fun factor why we do this?
One of my rookie mistakes (and Im still pretty much a rookie) was to WAY overshoot my landing and do a nasty PLF on the runway! Thank god I jump at a small drop zone with a private air strip and there was no other air traffic! I looked like I had been in a motorcycle crash with road rash all down my right side.
Good luck with your staric line training!
Let us know how it goes.
Blue skys!!!

you are guaranteed to eat turf at some point, but that comes with the territory of a risky sport. you are also guaranteed to have a hell of a good time too. listen to your instructors and you should do fine. watch youtube videos, but stay away from the malfunction ones for a few jumps and concentrate on what your instructors tell you to do. watch as many parachute landing fall (plf) videos as you can if you are worried about landings.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I fly 5 line kiteboarding kites and I was wondering if some of that flying and wind experience would transfer over, after doing my tandem it looked like you just hand a handle strap on either side for steering which is kind of like my kiteboarding kites (steering is with a bar and then pulling on the side you want it to go).
I was wondering if static line training has more of a chance for line tangles? my friend brought that up when I was looking at training options for that dz.

I did my first static line jump last weekend after a days training, leaving the aircraft and 'malfunction' drill was quite drilled into us all but there did not seem like that much to remember.. I was worried about missing the dropzone more than anything.. and I did! but not by much, it was that or risk landing in a small river on the boundary.

If the chute is all fine and you orientate yourself to where the dropzone is you should be fine, ours had a big arrow in it showing which way to approach from, which helped.

At the end of the day you can mess some of it up like I did and still come out fine, so don;t worry I'm sure you'll do fine.

if you can spend a few half days at the DZ asap !! watch watch watch.. listen... and talk to folks.

I totally agree with this!
There are so many people I see that are trying to learn and they make their jump, debrief and leave. Just like any sport, the more you are involved, the more you will learn. Besides, hanging out with the jump crowd can be really fun! As well as educational.

Everyone is telling me to PLF. But it's my intension to land on my feet. Hahahaha Or am I missing something?

The youtube vids are helping a lot. I’ve been reading some too.

Thanks for everyone’s help and replies. Please keep’um coming.

Not spent much time at the home DZ yet. It's still summer here. The instructors and office staff have been inundated with people doing first time tandems. As soon as the weather cools down some and that Pacific Northwest drizzle sets in, the one timers will all go home. I don’t mean any disrespect here. Everyone needs to start somewhere in this sport. I myself was a one timer too…..twice! Is there a name that everyone’s came up with for the people who jump once and do not return?

Everyone is telling me to PLF. But it's my intension to land on my feet. Hahahaha Or am I missing something?

I had every intention to stand it up on my very first jump, but that didnt happen. for my first 2 jumps I came in feet spread apart x-man style and slide it in ass first. even though they were relatively soft landing I was given a stern warning not to come in on my ass and told to come in ready to PLF or risk breaking something. I didnt fully understand the magnitude of a PLF but since folks more knowledgeable and experienced than myself were emphasizing PLF, I thought it might be prudent to listen, specially in a sport where mistakes hurt like a mofo. Lo and behold a few jumps later I flare way too high (more then once) and just pound into the ground. I knew it was going to hurt as soon as I did it, I also realized there's no way out of it now, all I could do was hold the flare and PLF, I was ecstatic when I stood up and realized nothing was broken ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

i learned my lesson my first jump. bruised tailbones hurt about as much as broken ones. my last jump i flared way to high (like 10 to 15 feet) and went into a shitty plf. reached for the ground and ended up dislocating my shoulder causing my rotator cuff to sprain. still better than shattered ankles.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I couldn't wait to get home, log on and change my jump number to 4. Wahooo!!

I did my first 5 hour class and Static line jump today at Snohomish. C.J. my instructor was the VERY BEST.....Thanks again CJ, Kudos to you. She was very informal, professional, and personable. She saw through my male ego (mainly from fear) and gave me the stuff straight up. She’s a no B.S. strong person. And my thick head needed that.

I’m still riding that high right now, that unexplainable feeling that only you all can relate and appreciate.

Thanks for all the advice each of you have given me, especially saying “Listen to your instructor”. I did and executed my jump……well. I got out, let go, flew my shoot and landed (PLF) without incident or injury. Yes, I sucked at my arch and I landed 100 years off the X, but for my first time by myself I am very pleased with the outcome.

Onto my last static and my first assisted free fall. Maybe next week.

Blue Skys All

~Hold

well you're here to write about it! glad you enjoyed the static line! welcome to the forums and dont be afraid to ask your instructors questions. You're the sponge and they know it.. stay humble, soak it all in, but have fun! the training is quite the adventure!
~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"

It is a blast isn't it? I had drill this weekend so i wasn't able to jump this weekend. I will jump next weekend. So you did 4 jummp in one day. Awsome! I am glad you enjoying yourself. Just listern to your Teacher and steer you wrong.

V/R
Edward
ALL THE WAY
Knees in the breezes