sergeantpowers

Working my way through AFF...

I took my AFF ground school last Friday, then had my first jump Saturday. I got two more jumps done this weekend, the last one being level 3, which I have to repeat. My left instructor let me go, but the right one never released because my body position wasn't stable enough. He said he had just gotten to the point where he felt comfortable releasing me, but that also happened to be 6000 feet, so it was too late. But that's okay, it'll give me time to practice for next weekend.

My main problem is that I need to relax. I'll get a signal, and instead of thinking about it and slowly responding to the signal, I go "oh crap!" do it too fast, and my movements are really jerky. And then I overcorrect, and I mess up another aspect of my body position, and it just becomes a mess. I know it's just something I need to work on, and I know it'll come with time, it's just a little frustrating that I keep making the same dumb mistakes despite my best effort on the ground to tell myself not to. It's like I exit the airplane and I stop thinking... I'm just doing it automatically, but my automatic reactions suck.

But again, I know nobody's perfect, especially starting out, so I'm not gonna let it bother me too much. Learn from it and move on, right?

I always have my students smile and/or make a funny face. Its hard to be tense when you're being goofy. I took up a level 5 Saturday who had been having trouble with spins. His body position was good - he was just tense. He started spinning right off - I caught him, looked him in the face and stuck my tongue out and made a goofball face. He made the same face right back at me. I let him go, and he had this really astonished look on his face cuz he wasn't spinning now. He then did a controlled 360 turn with the same look of astonishment on his face. It was hilarious.

I always tell my students you can't be too tense if you're smiling. Force a smile onto your face and you will relax.. Just remember skydiving is fun :-)

It says your in Law enforcement, think of the euphoric feeling you have after putting the cuffs on a real shitbag. ;)Well when your in the sky it's almost the same thing. Just get the feeling, relax and let your body do what you Instructors are telling you.

Skydive Alabama is a great place to learn, did quit a few jumps there a few years back...Enjoy the people and the times...
Good luck...:)

v/r
Paul
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you!"