neue

First Jump @ The Ranch, want more!

Hello All!

I just took my first tandem jump last weekend at The Ranch in Gardiner, NY and it was absolutely incredible. After having arguments of weeks with the girlfriend about how skydiving was something i've always wanted to try, she goes and buys me tickets for my birthday!

The Ranch was awesome, really good vibe, cool people. I got the video with the Tandem and the guy shooting was awesome and really friendly. I jumped with the Hungarian guy, and he was really cool, down to earth, and was very patient with me. Considering I was an excited newbie, and asking him a billion questions.

The jump was absolutely, incredibly life changing. The exit was quick and intense, and I wasn't expecting freefall to be so initially strong, it was incredible. After we settled a bit, we took a few 360 spins, and then docked with the camera guy. Not long after that we were under canopy and he let me take the toggles a bit, and we did some awesome aggressive turns (at least it felt that way). Landing was butter smooth, and I felt high for the next 45 minutes, it was incredible.

So, after blabbing about it to my poor girlfriend over and over. I'm going back up in two weeks to do the IAF course. (i'm doing #2 and #3 of the Tandems if I can) I've done tons of reading, downloaded and read the SIM, got the hand signals memorized, read tons about the do's and don'ts, beer rules, etc.

Wow. I've been sucked into this crazy world, and I'm stoked.

Any advice for a newb?
Anything you guys can share would be awesome!

What an awesome sport.

Welcome to the forums! :) Don't worry too much about reading all that you can before you go through your ground school, they'll teach you what you need to know for each of your levels.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for the welcome.

I think i've started a nice skydive-training fund. I heard a lot of people say that it makes much more sense later on to buy your own rig once you get your A-level, i'm sure that's not cheap. Although I think I won't get that A-level this season, at least i'll make some good progress on it.

I plan on doing the ground school asap after doing 2 and 3, which are additional tandems at the Ranch.

I've just been worried about canopy piloting, it seems like there's a lot more to it, especially after poking around these forums for a while, and reading lots of stories about it being a hang-up for beginners. Especially when doing dangerous maneuvers like low turns. I'd like to be able to get good advice before hand to know what to watch out for.

How hard was ground school for you guys? Easy enough, or did you really have to know it inside & out?

Especially when doing dangerous maneuvers like low turns. I'd like to be able to get good advice before hand to know what to watch out for.

Ok, here's my advice: don't do low turns. ;)

Seriously, a high speed or low turn is not a requirement for this sport. Don't even feel pressured to do anything more than the basic set-up for your landing that you learn in training.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Tandem 2 and 3 are DONE!!

Body control in freefall was so much easier than I expected, nice and smooth controlled moves made it pretty easy. It took a bit more focus to keep my legs in the right position, but made corrections really quickly (ARCH!) and stabilized right out!

WOW, everything was so much clearer this time, I could see more, I could think faster. And time was much quicker. Especially doing COA's and checking at the altimeter every few moments it felt like the 60 seconds were more like 30. It was awesome to be so focused.

Can't wait for ground school and my first AFF jump! INCREDIBLE.

Guys at the Ranch, Kevin & Batman you guys fucking rule. Thanks for being so friendly and offering advice. I'm very proud to say the Ranch is my home DZ.

Tandem 2 and 3 are DONE!!

Body control in freefall was so much easier than I expected, nice and smooth controlled moves made it pretty easy. It took a bit more focus to keep my legs in the right position, but made corrections really quickly (ARCH!) and stabilized right out!

WOW, everything was so much clearer this time, I could see more, I could think faster. And time was much quicker. Especially doing COA's and checking at the altimeter every few moments it felt like the 60 seconds were more like 30. It was awesome to be so focused.

Can't wait for ground school and my first AFF jump! INCREDIBLE.

Guys at the Ranch, Kevin & Batman you guys fucking rule. Thanks for being so friendly and offering advice. I'm very proud to say the Ranch is my home DZ.

Congrats! I actually did my T3 yesterday at The Ranch... what time were you there? I know what you're saying about everything being much clearer. The sky really opened up on the 3rd jump, no more tunnel vision and was much more aware of my legs. When are you doing ground school?

I was there for a good portion of the day, I did my T2 at about 12:30 with Kevin, my friend Malcolm came up for his first tandem and went out on the same load.

My T3 was at 2:20, also with Kevin. We ended up hanging around until 5:00. You may have seen us!

I'm going to be doing ground school in a week or two. I know they are full next sat, but the following Sunday is good. I may go then. I think it shouldn't be too tough. I've been reading the sim a bunch of times. I'm really interested in seeing manuvers demonstrated, like emergency procedures, how to do flat turns and flares. There were a few guys there on Sat who were giving me advice on landing at the ranch which can be tough on hot or gusty days. I understand the turbulance from the hangar and the far trees sometimes gives people trouble. Going over the Tarmac near the owners place gives you a bit of lift on a hot day too. Felt it on the T3.

But I'm excited nonetheless. I don't think I'll jump the same day. I'll save and do 2-3 jumps in a day if possible.

Welcome to the Ranch! The IAF program is a load of fun. Take your training seriously but remember that you are jumping because it is fun. Having fun will make everything MUCH easier.

As a student you are 100% reliant on the weather and you have to be jumping when its good if you want to maintain your momentum through the program. Downtime spent hanging out at the Ranch and talking with everyone will help you appreciate the finer points of skydiving that cannot be self taught by reading. Reading as much as you possibly can will allow you to ask better questions and get the most out of peoples time with you which is important as well.

Again, welcome. ENJOY!

Jeff - Ranch Rookie

You're in good hands in the IAF program at the Ranch. I think doing 2-3 jumps a day is a good idea to build on what you are learning on each jump. Try to stay consistent. I think it will help you with the flow of the program. As a student, check the weather link on the Ranch's homepage. The Ranch seems to have it's own little weather pattern which can be better or worse than it may be wherever you may happen to be, whether you're 20 miles away or 50 miles away... or 5 miles away for that matter.
Have Fun!
Enjoy!

Guys, thanks for the advice, especially on the weather. I heard one former student at the ranch say, "I rode this bench for 3 months while waiting for good weather." Although i've heard from other guys, that the did the whole course over a weekend (!) I'll pray for blue skies.

Anyways GROUND SCHOOL on AUG 15th!!!
I'm READY BABY!

Any other students going that day? I heard if the weather is good / the instructor is in a good mood that you can do your Jump 4 the same day. That would be rad.

P.s. I'm planning on camping out (coming up from NYC) on Friday night. Any suggestions for good tent setup areas?