theskydiveguy

Neptune or Pro Track?

yeah, but that wouldn't be too cool to do. if it wasn't lost due to a broken bracket, i wouldn't ask them for a new one.

l&b provide outstanding customer service and asking them for a new one when it wasn't their fault just costs them money. this may, in turn, cause them to whittle down the customer service in the long run...which wouldn't be a good thing.

anyway, sorry you lost your audible. either replacement would be a good choice. :)

If you have to spring for a new one I would buy a NEPTUNE, it's cheaper, has the same features, and more, and it's more versatile.

..........my 2 cents.

...if your sport doesn't involve death as a consequence............it's not EXTREME!!!!!!
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

If you've already got one Pro-Track, why not just go with a Pro-Dytter? It's a lot cheaper and do you really need two tracking units?
I wear dytters in my helmet and a pro-track in my suit (it's more accurate there.)

However I might lean toward the Neptune due to it being waterproof. If you ever do beach jumps it could be handy. But L&B has awesome products

My .02

Neptune!

More features, waterproof, comes in kewl colors, more versatile, and a few bucks cheaper.

L&B customer service is quite excellent. Alti-2 service is also exceptional - and they are $3.50 in postage away - not $35.00! And if you have a kickass Field Rep (like the peeps in Elsinore and Perris do), you don't even have to pay for shipping on a defective/broken unit.

My $1/50... Which is heavily biased as an owner of multiple Neptunes and a Field Rep.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Alti-2 service is also exceptional - and they are $3.50 in postage away - not $35.00! And if you have a kickass Field Rep (like the peeps in Elsinore and Perris do), you don't even have to pay for shipping on a defective/broken unit.

L&B has reps like that as well. They are called "dealers".

;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Have you contacted L & B?

I am sure they will replace it...

I had mine replaced after it was cracked and it was only a week down time...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Personally, for logging info, I like the Protrack better. I think you have to push too many buttons on the neptune to get the info I want from the last few jumps. I also have found my neptune to be off in its logging several times. I have version 2.025, I think they have an update out but I am too lazy to update it again right now. So, for now, i'm just using the protrack for logging my jumps and not worrying about it.

Now, for a visual altimeter, I really love the Neptune and would recommend it to anyone who needs accurate info for their landings. Accurate to 10 feet! :D

Angela.

Oh, you mean the guys that sometimes have the $10 batteries in stock?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah. The ones who pay rent to have a store front for people to come in and hang out in. Look at all the pretty gear. Air condition. Employ skydivers. Rent gear to novice skydivers.

The ones who when a skygod who has needed batteries for months comes in to town for a invitational big way, runs in and tosses their Helmet at you screaming "I'm on 10 minute call, late for my dirt dive and I need bateries!" causing you to smile and change them, and then have to deal (when you chase the deadbeat down 4 hours later to pay) with them pretending to be outraged at the price?

Ya' know those guys.

Oh yeah.... They're only $8 bucks. Instalation included (most of the time)

:D:P;)

Luv ya man, just had to give some back.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

B|

I don't want to take anything from the dealers. It wasn't their decision to integrate a battery that is either difficult to find or expensive.

Dealers are the people that are selling the Neptune and the Pro-Track. My role is to take some of that Customer Service role from the already underpaid gear store staff and shift it to someone who has a direct role in the interests of that particular product.

As an additional note... Field Reps are not just here to update firmware, replace broken units, teach users how to take advantage of features, and change batteries. We are also here to keep our ears open for what users really want. The greatest advantage of the Neptune is its adaptability. It is still evolving as a skydiving instrument. The feedback of jumpers has been the driving force behind the direction software changes have taken.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I have a neptune, I use it as an audible. Got it a few weeks ago from para-gear. I do like it, it does the job, but it does come up with some weird log data at times. I got a 490 second freefall from 14,000ft the other day! I was actually doing a CRW jump and deployed out the door, not at 2100 ft like it claimed. Here's another: exit 2900, deploy 2700, freefall 14 seconds! So I've had to delete the entire log a couple of times.
Also the freefall speeds are given at 12k, 9k, 6k and 3k and are an average over the 1000ft either side. The 12k one is straight after exit and the 3k one is right about deployment so both those are totally useless!
The average speed is usually pretty meaningless too and think is tied into determining freefall time because a low average seems to occur along with a longer than realistic delay. :S

I have a neptune, I use it as an audible. Got it a few weeks ago from para-gear. I do like it, it does the job, but it does come up with some weird log data at times. I got a 490 second freefall from 14,000ft the other day! I was actually doing a CRW jump and deployed out the door, not at 2100 ft like it claimed. Here's another: exit 2900, deploy 2700, freefall 14 seconds! So I've had to delete the entire log a couple of times.
Also the freefall speeds are given at 12k, 9k, 6k and 3k and are an average over the 1000ft either side. The 12k one is straight after exit and the 3k one is right about deployment so both those are totally useless!
The average speed is usually pretty meaningless too and think is tied into determining freefall time because a low average seems to occur along with a longer than realistic delay. :S

I have the same gripes, I was also wondering if the 'average' speed included 12000 and 3000, maybe they can change that?. I am glad i'm not the only one with messed up ff times, either. I had a h&p where I actually exited about 5500 and deployed at about 4200 what it logged was entirely different, actually logged deployment altitude above exit altitude (impossible obviously), really odd. I hope that the logging is really fixed on the new version. What version do you have, btw?

I haven't used it as an audible, but I really like it as a visual!

Angela.

I have the same gripes, I was also wondering if the 'average' speed included 12000 and 3000, maybe they can change that?. I am glad i'm not the only one with messed up ff times, either.
Angela.

Actually it will be possible to program the altitudes and averaging interval to calculate ff speeds.
As for the logging, I'm sure Alti-2 is working on it right now.
Might be a good idea to give them your feedback too: help them to improve the product!
I use my Neptune as a visual, I really like it for that and it's great to get to know my new canopy.

Bart

After my last post, I received an email this morning from alti-2. Sounds like pretty much everything I griped about can be changed by a field rep or the factory. Sweet as! The altitudes for speed recording can be set to whatever you want, and apparently there's an update to correct the logging funnies.