back2nature

Took my first plunge this morning.

Hi everyone. I just thought I would drop by and say hello. I didn't really know where I could find others to talk to about my experience. I figured this is probably the best place.

Today I made my first jump(tandem). I have been wanting to go skydiving for a long time(I'm 29 now) and the opportunity presented itself to me recently. In the past I thought I wanted to jump simply because it seemed like a fun thrill I could embark on. Over the last few years I have become more and more aware of my mortality and I think that as I'm getting older I'm becoming more reserved in my thinking. So the jump I made today was more than just a thrill seeking adventure, it was a means for me to break through fears... I guess you could call it therapy. It was not easy for me to do and I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid.

Well, I made the jump... words will never be able to describe the feeling. It was amazing, I would call it a religious experience. Freefall was incredible and I felt nothing but contentment. It was amazing how focused my mind became, i didnt expect that.I want to thank the guys in at Skydive Arizona for giving me such a great gift. I can fly! The weirdest thing is that it all seems so sureal..almost like it never happened...

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I should stop now or I will probably keep rambling.

All I can say is---- I dont think I will be able to stop now that I crossed that threshhold.

Welcome to the forums! :)
You should put at least your first name in your profile, that way we know whether we're speaking to a guy or girl, although you sound like a guy :D

Anyway, congrats on your tandem, it sounds like you had a blast! If you're serious about continuing you definitely should. As a tandem camera guy i can vouch for the fact that nothing makes my TI and I more proud than when one of our students goes on to get certified.

Have fun out there!
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Welcome to the sport. I am a certified tandem bum ( 6 tandems over last 8 months ) I did 40 jumps on round ones 28 years ago. I can tell you the 6th tandem is good as or better than the first. You should do AFF if you want but if you just want to have a bit of fun another tandem is the go. each TM is slightly different and you never get tired of that 1 minute of freefall (if you jump from 14000 like my drop zone does) greg w Aust
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Thanks you guys for the kind welcome. Like I said before, this is something that has been a long time coming and has taken considerable time learning about myself just to get to the point of making my first jump. I really think that this is something I want to move forward with and get to the point of jumping on my own. I really think that this could be nothing but a good thing for me in so many different ways. I recently read a book called Transcending fear by Brian Germain. I didn't read it just because it was written by a skydiver but because fear is something that has held me back in a lot of situations in life. I feel like i am now finally steering towards looking it in the face and seeing fear for what it really is.

Welcome to the sport! and as it was said above it only gets better from here!!! Also I saw that you mentioned that you did your first jump at skydive AZ; I live around Chicago, I did 6 jumps here then winter hit, so I took a trip to Skydive AZ and finished up there. All I can say is that I had an awesome experience, great (knowledgeable) people and fast planes! If you decide to get licensed there, you won't regret it!!!

Blue skies

I can read between the lines of what you write and "know what you mean". I really do, and I feel the same way. It isn't just a sport, it is a way of life.

By the way, if you hang around on the site, you'll see that Brian Germain is an active member, and you can get to know him.