jbh186

Whuffo's (and girlfriends) just don't understand

Well...I've been lurking about long enough. I've got about 85 jumps under my belt now, and I've gotten tired of looking for a rig that meets my (maybe too high) standards, would fit well, and holds the correct size canopies. So...I ordered a new G4.

The girlfriend and family just don't get impressed by a nice looking rig, so I figured I'd show it off to some people that care.

...Only 5 more weeks!!!

and I guess I owe beer for at least 2 reasons... first post, first rig.

The girlfriend and family just don't get impressed by a nice looking rig, so I figured I'd show it off to some people that care.

Congratulations on the new rig! And good to 'meet' you on the forums.

Question: is it difficult to get as far as your 'B' license while (I presume) continuing to rent student gear? I'm getting back into the sport--just graduated AFF--after many years away. One reason I suspect I didn't stick with the sport the first time was that I never had my own gear.

So I'm trying to decide at this point whether to make as many jumps as possible--renting student gear still--or making just as many as are needed to stay current as a post-AFF student or A license holder--and saving the extra money to buy my first rig. Funds remain a bit tight due to the recession but I REALLY want to stick with the sport this time around.

You are the first person I've seen who apparently got all the way to their 'B' before getting their first rig so I'm interested in your experience.

At my DZ I discovered last weekend that once you finish AFF you stop renting from the student gear room and start renting from the local gear shop (Action Air). I'm taking this as a hint that it is time to start thinking about buying gear but am still mulling over the timing based on my budget.

Again, congrats on the gear!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Well...I've only ever been to one dropzone, so I don't really know how other places work, but gear rental wasn't an issue for me. Luckily, I jump at a little Cessna dropzone. It's actually more of a club than a business. Fortunately, I've never had to rent gear, and everyone has been more than willing to let me borrow stuff. I think I've used 2 different rigs, as well as about 4 different peoples canopies all for free. (Well, it did cost me 80 dollars total, I figured I'd pay for two repacks when they were due, since I was saving a shit-ton of money.)

Sorry I couldn't answer your question better, but you've definitely come to the right place...I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can answer better than I can.

I'm sure some will hate, and some will like it... I was thinking about a flashy, bright rig, but I figured the resale value on "boring" colors is much higher (eventually, it will be resold)

The jumpsuit is also black and silver...I've already caught hell from the DZ photographer. Apparently there's "not enough color" in the photos.