amma

Another newbie here!

Hi everyone, name is Anne-Marie. Just did my first tandem in January at ASC in Cedartown, GA. Surprised myself as I was very calm (thought I'd be a hell of a lot more frightened) about the whole thing. Really enjoyed it and am now thinking about going through AFF training, something I said I'd never do. Never say never right! Good to meet everyone. Hope to visit your local DZ in the near future.

That would be great if you could do that for me. I was thinking about ASC for AFF because, obviously, I've been there before. Most people seemed nice but there were a few who seemed to not want to give you the time of day because I've never done it before and thought that I'd never do it again. Would a DZ mind if I visited and hung out for a couple of hours to watch some people skydive and ask some questions. (I'll bring beer!) I just want to make sure I go to a place that have my safety, their safety and our enjoyment as their primary concern.

Send a pm to "Hans", he recently started a thread about his dropzone here and there's also a link to the dropzone website in his sig line. I'm sure he'd be happy to have you hang out and get a feel of the place. The skydivers won't mind you asking questions, we love to talk about ourselves and our passion. :ph34r: I bet you'll find the atmosphere infectous. Have fun!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I thought I'd share a photo with you and everyone else. I'm so giddy about the whole experience so sorry if I bother anyone. It took me 15 years to take this "Leap of Faith" I felt so accomplished even if I didn't do it by myself. I wish I had done it sooner.

Would a DZ mind if I visited and hung out for a couple of hours to watch some people skydive and ask some questions. (I'll bring beer!)

Would a DZ mind if I visited and hung out for a couple of hours to watch some people skydive and ask some questions. (I'll bring beer!) I just want to make sure I go to a place that have my safety, their safety and our enjoyment as their primary concern.

I would not stay with a DZ that "minded" something like that. Obviously you need to stay in a safe area, not interfere with the students and all that, but how they treat newcomers is often how they treat students. The overall attitude of the DZ is usually not that hard to tell if you hang out for a while.

Most DZs are friendly places, you might have a little convincing to do to get them to realize you are serious, but if you say "I want to do AFF, but I want to hang around a while to get the vibe of the place first. Where's the fridge to put the beer?" You really shouldn't have any problems.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Amma,
By all means, we would love to have you come visit with us! We are right near by ASC so you wouldn't have to travel any further than what you already do.

Check us out at:
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
Please call Hans, the DZO, at 404-295-5000 and talk to him. LEt him know what you want. I guarantee you won't regret visiting with us.

We have a well-earned reputation for being one of the friendliest DZs in the country and when you get here you'll see why.

Hang out, ask questions, talk to us, camp out, see what's here and I'm sure that you will soon be jumping with us!

When you want to continue skydiving, we have a top-notch training program that can be tailored to your needs.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Andy
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I thought I'd share a photo with you and everyone else. I'm so giddy about the whole experience so sorry if I bother anyone.

Bothering? Good gracious, NO! How cool is that that you made your first jump! Sorry it had to be with Ted, though.
:D:D
(Not to worry. I know Ted well and he knows I'm only joking.)

It took me 15 years to take this "Leap of Faith" I felt so accomplished even if I didn't do it by myself. I wish I had done it sooner.

You are now part of a small group of people who have "made the plunge"...yes, it's a major accomplishment..congrats!

I wish I had done it sooner.

You don't realize just how many skydivers said the exact same thing after their first jump!
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Welcome to the sport.

I have to agree with the others, Come out to The Farm (about 2 Miles from ASC) and see what you think.

ASC does have some great people that jumps there and good instructors however the owners do have a horrible reputation for highly questionable business practices (Do a search for Skyride, The are owned by the same person and you will see what I am talking about).

Around Atlanta there are 3 Dropzones.

ASC in Cedartown - Where you have already been.

Skydive Atlanta in Thomaston (South of Atlanta)

Skydive The Farm in Rockmart.

Each of these DZ`s has a different flavor. All 3 are safe and fun. Visit all of them if you get a chase and see which one you like best. (Also if Cost is an Issue, I do know that The Farm is generally the best prices and Hans really goes out of his way to work with jumpers to get them started. Call Him at 404-295-5000):)

Welcome to the forums and to skydiving.

The Farm is my home dropzone, but I have jumped at ASC and Skydive Atlanta. Each place has a lot to offer.
You need to find the vibe that is right for you.
I see in the events thread that you are planning to go to Fitzgerald.
Ask around for me at manifest. Always great to meet the new people. :)
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Ask around for me at manifest. Always great to meet the new people. :)

She'll be the one with the cute shoes. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Anne-Marie - welcome from another newbie!

I just did at tandem last Sunday, March 8th, and did level-1 and level-2 of AFF yesterday, March 12th. From your description you were calmer than I was in the tandem. That's really great. I had a little anxiety when we loaded up and climbed out.

I found the AFF course to be much more to my liking, and I was quite relaxed for the jumps so far. It might be something about having your own gear and a plan of action to execute, and being in control of your own destiny that makes it better. I'll bet you will like it even more that the tandem too.

I think your idea of going and hanging out at various DZs is a good. I found most people to be very friendly and quite willing to spend a few minutes answering questions about skydiving. They can tell if you are serious about the sport and will be very helpful if you are. As Skymamma said, you can get a feel for the "vibe" pretty quickly.

Let us know how it goes and, as a fellow student, let me know what you think of AFF. I could send you a long email I wrote for a skydiving friend if you want more of a play by play of my first two jumps.

Have fun!

Jim
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Let us know how it goes and, as a fellow student, let me know what you think of AFF. I could send you a long email I wrote for a skydiving friend if you want more of a play by play of my first two jumps.

Have fun!

Jim

Sure send me the email, and I'll send you an email about the conversation I had with an older lady who just couldn't grasp the concept of a tandem skydive.

. . . I'll send you an email about the conversation I had with an older lady who just couldn't grasp the concept of a tandem skydive.

Amma - if I used the DropZone email system correctly you should have a new email in your DropZone Inbox. I am interested in the elderly lady and tandem discussion. Taken in the right light, that might be quite funny.

Jim
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Congrats, on the jump. I hope to sign up for my AFF at ASC in a couple of weeks. I've almost filled up the piggy bank to pay for the AFF package (oh so close now :S). I've hung out at The Farm once and at ASC more then once for the entire day. Both places seem to have friendly folks who answer all my "whats that, whats that do" etc questions. The only thing that sux is the sheer amount of peer pressure to jump that very day. The last time I was there a few weeks ago I decided that I am no longer goin to just "hang out" and watch anymore, its too painful to bear. The next time I go to the drop zone I intend to jump out of an airplane. Good luck with your AFF whichever DZ you decide to jump from ...

- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...