Zagor

motorbike mask

Hello all. During my first and only skydive in tandem I noticed that air pressure into my nose caused me problems in breating so that I had to put a hand on my nose to allow me to easly breath.
The instructors told me it should not be a concern and the problem will probably go away with experience.
I would like to start the AFF training and this is my question: do you believe I could use a mask like the ones used by motorbikers in winter or something like that that can reduce the airflow directly into my nose?
The problem is that I don't want to have to worry about breathing during my first AFF jump. Maybe I would try to fix the problem later but during the first jumps I just want to concentrate on the exrecices.
Do you think a mask could do the job?

Zagor

Yes, I had thought about the full face helmet. The problem, though, is that during the AFF jumps you have a radio incorporated in the helmet. And the skydiving school where I will do the jumps doesn't have full helmets with radio inside. Only open helmets do.
Since, of course, radio instruction is very important at the beginning and has to do with safety, I wouldn't be allowed to jump without a radio.
Maybe an earplug instead of a full radio in the helmet would be an alternative, I have seen this before but the school doesn't have one at the moment, I think.
Moreover I have read that many instructors don't allow students to ware a fullface helmet because the field of vision is a little reduced.

Hi there Zagor.

Congrats on your first jump and good luck with AFF.

I have to say that a motorbike mask is a fab idea in winter to keep the cold air off your face, but you will definately find that the more you jump the more you will relax and the more you feel able to breathe normally. Skydiving does not hinder breathing at all, I know it can feel that way at first and there is a lot going on and I understand you wanting to minimise the stress, but I truly think that in the long run you will be better off doing your AFF without a motorbike mask.

Tell your instructors about your problem and ask them to remind you to go through breathing excercises in the plane. My AFF instructor did and I breathe very deeply after about 10,000 feet to ensure I'm getting enough oxygen and to keep myself as calm as possible.

Most importantly.. smile and relax as much as you can!

I hope this helps! Let us know how you get on.

xx

Sarah
www.sneale-create.com