michpadams

Women and the sport

So I did my first tandem last weekend and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Today I posted some exercise equipment to sell so I can afford the AFF. What I wanted to know if whether or not there are many women in this sport and secondly, about how much one can anticipate to spend after the AFF cert. to get their intial "A" and equipment? I am assuming somewhere in the ballpark of $5000. I can't wait and I am absolutely obsessed with it. I did the tandem at parachute center in Lodi.

First, Welcome to the Forums. :)
There are quite a few women that skydive, they even have their own forum here on dropzone.com.

The price of AFF will vary depending on the dropzone or if you have to retake any levels. 5k seems a little steep to me but that should do you fine.

Hello! I am a woman jumper at Lodi, and actually there are quite a few of us there! AFF costs $1000 at Lodi, and you will probably end up spending about $3000 to $4000 on a rig.

What I did was just worry about getting through AFF and getting some jumps under your belt with rental equipment ($35 a jump at Lodi) until you know what size canopy you want and then buy.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Lodi or the training or anything. I'm the girl around the dz with the lavender and bright pink rig. ;)

Check out the women's only forum too. There's a lot of stuff that's non-skydiving related but we're pretty much all skydivers in there so can hook up with women in your area to jump and learn from. Welcome to the sport!!!! Women skydivers kickass!

PMS # 457
*~Alli~*

When people ask "Why jump out of perfectly good airplane?" I reply "The door was open and someone said GO!"

Hello! I am a woman jumper at Lodi, and actually there are quite a few of us there! AFF costs $1000 at Lodi, and you will probably end up spending about $3000 to $4000 on a rig.

What I did was just worry about getting through AFF and getting some jumps under your belt with rental equipment ($35 a jump at Lodi) until you know what size canopy you want and then buy.

After you finish the AFF, you still have to pay for your coached jumps until you get Liscensed and finish your gold card. Helmet, rig, altimeter and of course cases of BEER for all your firsts!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Lodi or the training or anything. I'm the girl around the dz with the lavender and bright pink rig. ;)

So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

There are lots of female jumpers in NorCal.

You can expect to have spent $5-10k on skydiving by the time you have an A license and all your own gear. After that.... half your income for the rest of your life is about right. :ph34r:

The least expensive option is not necessarily the best option for you when it comes to skydiving. Be an informed student - first go to uspa.org and download the Skydivers Information Manual (it's free). Read through the student training information. Then go visit the other dz's in your area before you start your AFF jumps. At each dz, find out what they charge and what you get for the money. Take a look at the gear you'd be using and the planes you'd be jumping out of. Talk to the instructors, experienced jumpers and other students.

Then decide where you want to do your student training based on the information you've gathered and the overall "vibe" you get from each dz, NOT based on who wants the least amount of money for "x" number of jumps.

Welcome! Although a mostly male dominated sport, you will find that most in the sport are open to sharing and encouraging all to get involved. And the more women the better if you ask me!!! I was thankfull to be "indoctrinated" by a fellow female skydiver who gave my wife all of the words of comfort that she needed to hear to feel secure that her husband wasnt taking too large of a risk when starting the sport. I too jump in Lodi (also wen thru my AFF there/Mikey was my instructor) and dont have many jumps under my belt (heading towards jump 40 this friday!) If you are interested in getting together for some fun jumps or have any questions about my experiences there in Lodi... drop me a line. Blue skies!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I am glad to see there are others like me. I'm a 48 yo ER nurse that has always loved the rush of adrednalin and wanted to jump. My husband asked me to wait until the kids were grown. The last one left for college on 8/21 and I jumped 9/14. I am hooked and can't wait until the next. We jump right on the coast and I have never felt or seen anything like it. I started looking @ equipment prices the next day!!! I plan to wait until I do a few more tandem jumps and then some of my own. Rentals are availabe @ our DZ also.

That is too cool. I actually ended up going tandem again last weekend. I just found out that there is a new DZ about 1/4 mile from my house in Lincoln, California so I am thinking of doing AFF there. I think some of the reason why I feel so invigorated is that I recently lost almost 100 pounds. That was why I originally jumped. I couldn't think of any way to celebrate my freedom from the weight that had kept me down like skydiving. Now I love it. I just wish it weren't so expensive. I also don't have any friends that do it so I am hoping to make some friends. I was completely depressed about turning 37 but now I realize it is just a number.

I also don't have any friends that do it so I am hoping to make some friends. I was completely depressed about turning 37 but now I realize it is just a number.

I'm 35 and have been in the sport for just over a year. Stick with it and you'll make friends with both women and men who you'll find you can't do without. Move on over to the women's forum and let us know how it goes. Your new girlfriends will watch out for you.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

I'm 37, and I just started AFF last month, finishing up in a few weeks. I may be 37, but the days I skydive, I feel 20 again, and that's what it's all about.

By the way, one of my instructors is female, and she kicks a$$! So don't wory about the male domination thing. For me it's not about guys and girls, it's about skydiving.

Rock on!
"Get these balls!"

I also don't have any friends that do it so I am hoping to make some friends. I was completely depressed about turning 37 but now I realize it is just a number.

Stick with it and you'll make friends with both women and men who you'll find you can't do without.

Like me ;).
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I'm 37, and I just started AFF last month, finishing up in a few weeks. I may be 37, but the days I skydive, I feel 20 again, and that's what it's all about.

By the way, one of my instructors is female, and she kicks a$$! So don't wory about the male domination[\s] majority thing. For me it's not about guys and girls, it's about skydiving.

fixed it

Only 37? I am 58 now and am approaching the one year anniversary of my first skydive. I have found a whole new life this last 12 months. I have made friends from all over, both male and fenale. Sure, there are times when I am the only woman on the plane, but it really doesn't matter. We are all up there for the same thing.,...... to feel the excitement and joy of skydiving.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

By the way, one of my instructors is female, and she kicks a$$! So don't wory about the male domination[ majority thing. For me it's not about guys and girls, it's about skydiving.
---------------------------------------------------------------------fixed it
Only 37? I am 58 now and am approaching the one year anniversary of my first skydive. I have found a whole new life this last 12 months. I have made friends from all over, both male and fenale. Sure, there are times when I am the only woman on the plane, but it really doesn't matter. We are all up there for the same thing.,...... to feel the excitement and joy of skydiving
-------------------------------------------------------
"You are so sleeping in the car tonight!" --Skootz http://www.myspace.com/grannyinthesky
POPS #10490
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You are so sleeping in the car tonight!" --Skootz

http://www.myspace.com/grannyinthesky
POPS #10490

Well, I tried to fix it. All I wanted was one word crossed out...just domination lol
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490