FreeFlyingSig

I will be an AFF grad this weekend?

Hey everyone,

Thought I would introduce myself as a new user to the forums here. I started jumping (AFF) in July at VSA after 2 years of my brother nagging me try skydiving. Honestly, I consider myself to be moderately afraid of heights and that is why it took me so long to make my first jump. Standing under the wing of a Cessna at 12,000 ft and looking down for the first time and knowing I was ready to let go against all better judgment is something I will never forget. Hopefully this weekend I will be finishing off AFF level 7 if the weather decides to cooperate here in Vermont. I can't wait to get my A certification and my own system to jump. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting and jumping with some of you guys and gals in the near future.

Happy Skies,

Robert

P.S. any PM's with info on used equipment for sale would be much appreciated until I'm off the new user probation period for the classifieds. I'm about 170 and 6'1". Thanks!

Used gear:

DZ.com calssifieds:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?d=1

Recommended:
Chutingstar Rigging Loft
http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=vgdf5738kmuph6aklcnsa45dr1

Good luck!
I like your positive outlook.
Sounds like your freefall training is going well. How's your canopy skills and book learning going?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the links, I am definitely using my canopy time at higher altitudes to explore its behavior and play with the different ways to control its flight. Not totally sure what you mean by book learning; I know there are some requirements for A license to complete. So far I have just been reading some articles on safety and canopy flight on DZ.com and some canopy sizing information from the PD website.

Not totally sure what you mean by book learning;

Skydiver Information Manual (SIM)
http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

Your post seems as though nobody has ever mentioned that life-saving book to you.

I strongly suggest buying a hardcopy. You can carry it with you everywhere. I put mine in the bathroom and had ample opportunities to read it thoroughly.
:D:D

If I were dictator, I would make it mandatory that every student have a hardcopy in hand on Day 1 of training. And in my mind, it's a severe disservice to the entire industry to not know what's in it. IMHO, it's the difference between a skydiver and a mere jumper.

I know there are some requirements for A license to complete. So far I have just been reading some articles on safety and canopy flight on DZ.com and some canopy sizing information from the PD website.

All those are good things. The SIM is our skydiving bible. Knowledge is power. Education is NEVER a bad thing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

He's right, I'm on my 5th jump (next weekend, 5 and 6) for AFF, and got my SIM this week. Not only do you need to know the material in the manual to pass the written test for your class "A", but in a sport that's already risky, knowledge through training is the most important mitigating factor in the assessment.

I know I'm a newb as well, even newer than you, but that guy gave some sound advice. Buy the book.
"Get these balls!"

He's right, I'm on my 5th jump (next weekend, 5 and 6) for AFF, and got my SIM this week. Not only do you need to know the material in the manual to pass the written test for your class "A", but in a sport that's already risky, knowledge through training is the most important mitigating factor in the assessment.

I know I'm a newb as well, even newer than you, but that guy gave some sound advice. Buy the book.

Having the SIM was a requirement for ground school at my DZ (it was on the list of requirements you got when you signed up).

That book is awesome. Not only is it extremely informative, it's extremely interesting.

Newbies like us need to be sponges, soaking up all that we can, and this book makes it's easy. But then again, when the subject is something I'm interested in, it's always an easy read.

Make sense??:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

So, I ended up landing in the plane on sat.... not by choice. We ended up waiting all day for loads to get up when there were holes in the cloud cover. I was in the plane for the last load but my jump was aborted because it was 7:30 and we were only at 3500 ft. So all the licensed jumpers got out of course and I had to stay with the plane and land [:/]. Guess I will spend the money i did not use to jump this weekend to buy myself a SIM.