velvetjo

Jumpsuit ?'s: Tony Multi Suit? Big Boy Fabrics? Nomex?

Anybody have a Tony Multi Suit? I'm interested to hear about your experiences with it. In particular:

- how's durability?

- how well do the pants & jackets work together?

- now that you've used one, are you happy or would you go back to a 1-piece?

- what style jacket / pants did you get?

- if RW pants, did you get booties?

- any features you like or dislike?

I'm thinking of getting the RW pants with booties, an RW top, and a camera top. I'm on the fence with the freefly stuff, as I haven't done much of that yet.

I'm about 6'1" and 235 pounds (yeah, I still fit thru a hula hoop...;)), so I'm looking for a a suit to slow me down. The lady I spoke with this morning at Tony Suits recommended 4-ply with reinforced arms & legs for drag - apparently they're getting rid of polycotton and acrylic for high drag suits. Double polycotton seems to work well for one of my buddies, but I wondered if there were any options that wouldn't be as hot in the summer but still give lots of drag. Any thoughts on big boy fabric choices?

Also, I've been kicking around the idea of Nomex as a material. I know it's pretty expensive, but it might be worth it in an emergency. Anybody know what kind of fall rate commercially available Nomex would give? Anybody have a Nomex jumpsuit?

Thanks!

Lance

Tony U built me a fantastic winglet suit for my larger size. If the US army can drop a tank, I can fly. Here is a photo (i think attached). If your interested drop me a line and I will give you the specs. Heavy duty, good booties, wing, and inlets. Bob (275 Lb)

I am about your weight and a little shorter. When I started jumping, I went low a lot. I got an old balloon suit, which helped, but I wanted more foot control for forward motion. I now have a Tony Swoop Suit in cotton with big forearms, swoop cords through low armpits, and cordora mega-booties. It works well to jump with others. Also, most of my jumps are with a camera suit for shooting video. For me, wings are definitely a disadvantage for RW. When you go to take a grip, wings tend to push you up and back.

Thanks for the reply. Posted this about 6 years ago, so I've been all set for a while. A bit surprised by your post too, looks like you've been using the Search function...

In the meantime, I've been flying a double-layer Bodysport suit for RW with booties, swoop cords, and a little bit of wing. Works okay, but I'm still at the fast end for a lot of RW groups when flying relaxed.

The biggest thing that helps me slow down is really getting my chest concave to de-arch. Tunnel time is a great way to hone this skill.

Good luck with your Tony Suit!

Lance

For me, wings are definitely a disadvantage for RW. When you go to take a grip, wings tend to push you up and back.

Interesting, never noticed this much with either my RW suit or camera suit. I guess I must compensate somehow without realizing it.

I can generally stay up with most lightweights if I try, but mostly nowadays it's "go fast or go home" if I'm fun jumping. ;)

Lance