DaveTheSlave

Back in freefall after 13+years

I have missed this sport greatly and I'm enjoying my long awaited return. I began skydiving in 1989. I attended my Sophomore year of High School across the street from Flagler Airport in Bunnell FL. I wanted to learn to fly but the guys at Flagler Aviation had something else in store for me. I worked there every day after school and most other days. I learned how to work on airplanes from Gary Dupuis and Rocky Evans. I learned to skydive from John Norman and Richard "Fang" Fenimore (Rocky and Gary had some input too). I did whatever was needed that I could deliver from cleaning the bottom of the jump planes to cleaning the bathrooms. I did this at near minimum wage and that is where my nickname from Fang was born "Dave the Slave". I was given the oppourtunity to skydive and I plead with my parents to sign the waiver to let me do it. I finally got permission and then did a tandem with Fang. Shortly after I put almost every dollar I earned back to the company to do the AFF program. I made 52 jumps that year and learned a lot more from my time at the airport. My parents had to move and at 16 I did too. I finished high school in New Jersey and learned to fly. I found an airport to work at but only jumped on occasion. I went to Tulsa in 1991 to formailze my aircraft maintenance education. I made another 50 jumps around Tulsa while I was there and then found my way back to Flagler. I got to live my dream for a short time. On a perfect day I would fly the first load work on aircraft during the day and jump the last load. I left Flagler near the end of 1993 and jumped a few times into a NJ cow pasture in 1994. I became a responsible adult after I got married in 1996 and I have been persuing my aircraft maintenance career. My loving wife noticed when I spoke of skydiving how much I missed it and for Christmas 2007 she paid for me to get back in the air. After a refresher at the local DZ in Sebastian FL I was soon back in the air. I made 2 jumps at Sebastian and I hope to keep the momentum going. I am looking forward to my renewed interest in skydiving. I love the use of this new fangled internet and e-mail to keep abreast of what is going on. I hope to meet and skydive with new friends and most of all I hope to be reunited with my old friends. If I jumped with you in Flagler or Tulsa please send me a PM. If you know where Rocky Evans is let me know, He saved my life a few years back and he dosen't know it. I'll tell the story after I thank him personally. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all in freefall.
Dave