Brian425

Advice on a helmet for a Newbie

Hello,
I have 21 jumps right now and I'm working on my A. I have all my gear except a helmet. I am lookinf for something good for belly flying and could possibly be used in the future for free flying. Any advice or opinions? Anything I should not buy?

Thanks in adavance.

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Do you have a preferance to full face/open face?

You can't go wrong with the Bonehead helmets.

I use a Havoc (full face) for fun jumps and AFF, a Flat-Top Pro for video (and have owned several other BH camera helmets), and a Pimp Daddy for tandems.

Exceptional quality, outstanding customer service, good looking, and killer comfort.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I was considering the Bonehead boomerang. I believe I would prefer a full face helmet. I am used to them from motorcycles.

My only concern with a full face is at this time, I don't want anything that might hamper my view of my cutaway handles.

Thanks for the reply Cajones

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I personally have a Z1... i like it very much, except for the price :|

but one of the smartest things you can do is visit a gear store at a nearby DZ and try on their helmets... or next time you're at the DZ ask people if you can try on theirs. this way you can see what fits your head the best. plus, you can see how hard it is to put on, open the visor, etc.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have an Oxygen A-3 and love it, although for freefly, I have heard the visor easily flips up and snaps off.

I've worn the bonehead fullfaced and the Oxygn and the oxygn is much more confortable and in my opinion, looks great, but it's really all about personal preference. My suggestion.... demo different helmets and see which one tickles your fancy. :)

I have a BH Boomerang. I stopped jumping it due to the face shield fogging after opening. It is a very good and comfortable helmet in freefall, but due to the face shield being fixed, it will fog while under canopy. This is in spite of the anti fog formula that they include with the helmet. I'll sell you mine if you want;)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

due to the face shield being fixed, it will fog while under canopy.

Fixed shield helmets do not always fog up. There are a lot of ways to prevent this problem. I know there have been other threads about this but a quick rundown is:

- breath in through the nose, out through the mouth.
- put the helmet on/close the shield just before the door is opened.
- keep the shield dry with a cloth in the plane.
- use anti-fog solution.

I didn't have any fogging problems with my Factory Diver (a great helmet) once I started doing the above.

- Dan G

Been there, done all the above, still got fog. Got a Z1, problem solved.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Too many pros and cons (similar to the RSL question) My opinion is that if one is hard of hearing
a full faced is good because it's easier too hear your
audible. That said I am hard of hearing and bought
and sold my audible after 4 jumps because I couldnt
hear the alarms.(dont have a full face). Maybe it was a blessing in disgiuse because I have become very familiar with my dropzone and with the ground
to decent (even @ other DZ,s) the good old alti is
fine by me.