wisdom62

Need Info On FT-50 altimeter

I am new to skydiving and have just finished my AFF. I am looking to buy an FT-50 altimeter for $50. I found the altimeter brand new for $138. I was wondering if anyone uses this altimeter and if it will be work for me through my first hundred jumps or so.
ALSO does anyone know what the max altitude for the FT-50 is? Can't find that info anywhere. Thanks for You Help

Just to add to hookitt's reply, it is marked from 0 to 12,000ft, but like most skydiving altimeters (analog mechanicals anyway) It's mostly accurate to about 17,000 MSL.

Edit to avoid the rath of the hookitt.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've never had a probelm with mine. 500+ jumps.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've had an FT-50 for 600 jumps and almost 5 years. I have dropped it on concrete (accidentally) a couple of times and have banged it up pretty good; it's still as solid as ever. I just recently got a new lens from square one in Perris to replace the badly cracked one.

I've taken it up to 23,000' on Mike Mullins' King air; on the climb, it stopped reading at 16,000 but started working again in freefall as I passed that altitude on the way down. That was 3 1/2 years ago, and it's been fine ever since.

50 bucks is probably a good deal.

B|

FunBobby

Edit to avoid the rath of the hookitt.

HAHA... did you miss a T??? It's all good :P I spell quite well but my typing and then PROOF READING skills suck. ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm still jumping an FT-40 (version they made before the FT-50). It has about 3000 jumps on it over the past 7 or 8 years and I have had no problems with it. If the FT-50 is anything like that it would be well worth it to pick one up cheap.
Hope this helps...
Miami

Josh,

You will be able to find one for $50 if you wait long enough, one may just come around. Be sure to check the classifieds on dropzone.com and ebay too.

I bought my 1st FT-50 at full price while in AFF. I got my 2nd couple years later after my 1st ended up in a corn field somewhere during a particularly rough jump, and i got it used from a buddy who was getting out of the sport for like $20 or something. I recently picked up my 3rd FT-50 so that i can sew it into my knife pillow for CRW and S/L students, and i got it used off of dropzone.com for $60.

I think $50 will be a tough find, but worth it if you can get it. That's what I was looking for one at all winter, and couldn't find any that cheap. I finally cracked and went with $60 this spring because i needed another altimeter.

It is my fav altimeter. Huge numbers, good construction, and cheaper than the altimasters. Don't worry about the 12,000 thing, it just keeps going around after that. You may have to replace the velcro every 1,000 jumps or so, but the altimeter should last longer than you as long as you don't drop it from 2,000 feet.;)

good luck on the hunt! :)
b