TandemMom

nervous but excited mom

Hi everyone!

My name is Monique and I'm here doing research on where to take my son for his first jump. He wants to commemorate his 18th birthday in this way and I can't think of a better way to spread his wings...

Anyway, I'll be posting regularly here and I know you will all help me put my fears to rest. Feel free to contact me anytime with recommendations for my son.

Thanks! I look forward to getting to know you.

PS...in case you don't read my profile, we're in Jersey.

Your best bet is to locate all the dz's in your area by going thgrough the "dropzones" link at the top of the screen. I can imagine jersey being that great to jump in at this time of year..weather wise anyway. But yeah there is a list of all USPA registered dropzones in the world...all ya gotta do is narrow it down to new jersey B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

According to the dropzone locator there are 7 DZ's within 100 miles of Lakehurst. This one looked pretty good but I've never been there.
http://www.freefalladventures.com/(couldn't make clicky)
Maybe some east coasters can give you more advise.
I do suggest that you do the jump with your son that would make it even more memorable;)

Noooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!! M.P.F.C.

According to the dropzone locator there are 7 DZ's within 100 miles of Lakehurst. This one looked pretty good but I've never been there.
http://www.freefalladventures.com/(couldn't make clicky)
Maybe some east coasters can give you more advise.
I do suggest that you do the jump with your son that would make it even more memorable;)

Yep....you should jump with your son....it is the ultimate experience and then you will understand why he is hooked on the sport!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hello Monique,

I'm from Jersey also. All bias aside, I think you should take your son to Skydive Cross Keys (Freefall Adventures) http://www.skydivecrosskeys.com.

That is my home drop zone. I did my tandem skydives with the staff at Cross Keys, I am currently a student there.

The staff is friendly and well trained. They’ll be able to answer all your questions and help calm your nerves. The equipment is up-to-date as well as the aircrafts. Your son would be given a briefing video before his skydive as well as personal training from one of the experienced Tandem Masters, where they will go over proper safety procedures for the whole skydive, including approach to the plane, entrance, seating, safety in and around the plane as well as exiting the aircraft and proper body position in freefall and canopy control. He will let your son deploy the parachute at 5500 ft, if he so chooses; otherwise he will pull at 5500 ft, and he’ll assist your son in steering the canopy safely back to the landing area. Once back down you son will then be debriefed on his skydive and will be given further instruction for possible future skydives.

The Drop Zone also features:
Square 3 Gear Store / Souvenir Shop
Mark's Menu Cafe
Big screen TVs available in the main hangar for video debriefs and watching tandem videos
Covered boarding area
Bathrooms
And more…

Skydive Cross Keys
300 Dahlia Ave.
Williamstown, NJ 08095
[email protected]

I hope this helps you. If you need more information, I’m sure someone at the office could help you. Good luck with your research and let us know what you decide. Just a thought, I’d wait for warmer weather ;)
~ Dana

Yep....you should jump with your son....it is the ultimate experience and then you will understand why he is hooked on the sport!

well, I'm too heavy to jump with him, and I'm afraid of heights, so I'll stay on the ground ;)

~However, I'm totally supportive of him jumping. It's his life. After all, we're celebrating his independence, right? :) Thanks for the advice. We're shooting for the 1st week in February. I'll keep you posted.

Hi everyone!

My name is Monique and I'm here doing research on where to take my son for his first jump. He wants to commemorate his 18th birthday in this way and I can't think of a better way to spread his wings...

Anyway, I'll be posting regularly here and I know you will all help me put my fears to rest. Feel free to contact me anytime with recommendations for my son.

Thanks! I look forward to getting to know you.

PS...in case you don't read my profile, we're in Jersey.

It's a great way to celebrate! I have a 16 year old daughter with three jumps (one tandem and 2 AFF's). Her first jump was for her birthday. She's hooked. We're (I'm now jumping my 3rd AFF) heading out Saturday to jump. It's great fun! We're thinking about you and your son here in Oklahoma. Have a great time!!
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?

Monique,
I was in the same spot as you are now in June of 2003. My 18 year old son wanted to do an AFF jump for his birthday, and me like a durn fool went along and jumped too. I just got my B license and all I do is dream about skydiving when I am not actually jumping out of POA's (Properly Operating Aircraft). My son has put his skydiving on hold right now to serve in the Marine Corps. I think it is great that you are supportive of your son, and I can tell you from a technical/field engineering background and an intense interest in aircraft and the equipment that we use, I am quite at peace with the fact that the risks present in skydiving are manageable with good training. The container and canopy designs, evolution and improvements of our gear has been so significant that I am sure the most dangerous thing your son will do on that day is drive back and forth to the drop zone. The freedom and natural high of skydiving is only available to those who get out the airplane door, and is so worth the time, effort, money, and risk!! My younger son is now an accomplished wind tunnel monkey and skydiver, and my wife is learning to tunnel fly as well, so it really has taken hold in our family and it all started with that 18th birthday celebration....
Let us know how it comes out!!!
Blue Skies Safe Landings!! :)Bill

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Monique,

I am very new to all of this but love it. I jump at "Skydive Jersey Shore". The weather, as you know is a little cool right now and the DZ is only open on the weekends by appointment only. I live in Manahawkin and the DZ is in Farmingdale, exit 98 on Prkwy. Phone is 732-938-9002 or look at the website. Hope to see you in the spring.
Every time I look up, I wish I was on my way down.

Hi Monique,

YOU ARE A COOL MOM! My mother has actually offered my money to quit skydiving on several occasions! So far I'd agree with the advice you've received so far. Where you are the closest places to go are skydive crosskeys and skydive jersey shore. Skydive jersey shore is a small dropzone with piston-engine cessnas. This means a small aircraft (cramped), with a longer ride/wait, and your son will only get to jump from 10500 ft. Crosskeys is a large dropzone with newer turbine aircraft (faster ride to higher altitude) where he'll likely get to jump from 13,500 to 14,000 ft. I have not jumped crosskeys yet, but intend to soon. I jump at the bluesky ranch in gardiner new york, and typically recommend going there, but it would be about a 2.5-3 hour ride for you and the temp. up there can vary from that at crosskeys by as much as 10 degrees F this time of year. And when you make arrangements, do it with the dropzone directly, not an online booking agency like skyride-they overcharge and are shady to say the least.
Wherever you go I hope your son, and you for that matter, have a great time. Don't be too surprised if he turns into a skyJunky, 1 tandem is all it took for many of the people on this site...
Blue Skies
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Thank you all so much. I am currently in the process of seeing if he can get in on a military jump...since he is a dependent and his dad is an Air Traffic Controller. I also had the thought that it might be good to wait for warmer weather, but he seems to want it now...you know teenagers...

You have all bee so helpful, and have really gone the extra mile to make me feel much less nervous about his first jump. I will be sure to keep you posted on when & where this jump will take place.

Much Love
~Monique