Robyn

AFF information please

Hello,
2 weeks ago I did my first 1st & 2nd Tandem jumps. I am hooked now of course, and wanted some information from people who are going through or have gone through the AFF program. I know it is 7 levels, but how is it broken down? Generally how long does it take to complete? Also, how much money do I need to start this sport? My friend told me to save $5000 before I start jumping, is that really true? I think that would take me years to do.

I am on AFF lvl 4 and have spent $200.00 on each jump, but they are $169.00 from here on out. After lvl 5 I just have to pay for a coach to jump with me, and he costs $50.00. Your friend probably told you to save 5thousand so you can buy a used rig and get through AFF training. Whatever you decide you can take it slow like me and jump once or twice a month or pay for the AFF up front and jump a few times a week. I dont own a rig yet, but I am looking to purchase a good used rig for less than $3,000. Hope this helps!;)
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

5000 is really not that far off after fees, training, coaching, AFF, and a rig.The AFF program as a whole package will probably cost between 1300-1500 bucks(it can also be bought on a per jump basis but that varies per dropzone). After that you are gonna need to rack up about 13-15 jumps to get your A which with gear rental and coaching will probably cost 500-600. After that if your tired of renting uncomfortable student gear then your gonna want to buy a rig, helmet, altimeter, and goggles will be at least 2000 if you buy used and will be way over 5000 if you buy new. It sucks that the sport is so expensive but trust me I have spent almost all of my saved money on skydiving and I do not regret one penny spent. Everything is totally worth. If you have the money do it!!!

*These are rough estimates from my own experiences and could vary greatly from what you will have to spend. Contact your closest dropzone and find out how much it costs, for the exact training costs and look on the classifieds to see how much good used beginner systems are going to cost you.

Blue Skies
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Welcome to the forums! :)This link should help to answer some questions about getting started in skydiving. It's true, it is not a cheap sport by any means when you are first starting out. Most of us found ways to cut back in our lives and spend money on need vs. want. I got a second job so I could buy gear and used my tax refund for training. Find ways to get creative, you can do it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Robyn,

I wouldn't wait till you had $5000. I just passed AFF Level 5, and am paying as I go. I couldn't/didn't want to wait to get started. I'm still saving for gear, but that's separate (for me) from my jump money. I'll probably end up buying my gear piecemeal, but not till I know what canopy I'll be on. That way, it's not such a shock to the checking account.

I started my AFF on 24 September, 2006, and will be doing Level 6 this weekend. I've been cancelled a few times for weather, but try to schedule myself one Level per weekend. Works for me!

Good luck, and welcome to the forums. Let us know how things go with AFF!

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

That is so funny, I am anxiously awaiting my W-2 so I can at least get a big chunk of the training paid for. The second job thin, already looking for one of those as well!! I have been utterly consumed by this sport since my first tandem on Nov. 4th. It is all I think about, it is like crack:)

Jump now, take it 1 jump at a time if that is all you can do. You will be learning albeit slower than most, but you will still be advancing through the program. I only get to jump once or twice a month but I love every jump! Sure I would love to jump 30 times a month but right now it isn't a reality for me.:S
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Goldcoast does not offer s/l any longer, but they have a tremendous AFF program. Its the program I grauduated from and its where I still do all of my jumping. Those guys really are my second family. You won't be dissapointed if you choose them for your training. Plus--------we are getting ready to move to a big new fancy fabulous dropzone with all sorts of wonderful amenities. WOOHOO!!! If you go, let me know and I'll see you there.
PMS#529

Goldcoast does not offer s/l any longer, but they have a tremendous AFF program. Its the program I grauduated from and its where I still do all of my jumping. Those guys really are my second family. You won't be dissapointed if you choose them for your training. Plus--------we are getting ready to move to a big new fancy fabulous dropzone with all sorts of wonderful amenities. WOOHOO!!! If you go, let me know and I'll see you there.

Oh! It is so good to meet someone who lives nearby, you will probably get a lot of questions from me:) So where is this new DZ going to be located? I am really excited. My friend Chad is close with the Gold Coast gang, he has stronly recommended them. I am glad to hear such good reviews.

This is for the west coast, which, of course, is ALWAYS ridiculously more expensive, but it'll give you a rough idea of what you're looking at.

http://www.skydiveaz.com/_students_data/student_prices.html

I had a second job when I started jumping and I took out a loan for $2500 for gear. I spent $1800 on gear and the rest went to continuing my training.

We have a saying...

You're not a skydiver unless you're broke!
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

We have a saying...

You're not a skydiver unless you're broke!

We do?... :S

I know pleny of skydivers, including myself, that are far from broke. ;)

Students just starting out can find training sometimes alittle expensive, and some places are charging more then others. Taking the time search for a DZ that is cheaper sound good, but only if it's a few DZ's that are close to your home. Driving to a DZ thats a long way from where you live is not productive sometimes, and may even cost you more in the long run. Unless, you are able to pay for the entire AFF course upfront and stay the whole weekend knocking out a few jumps each day.
Also, students should NEVER let an Instructor rush them on the ground training and dirt dives. Alot of instructors get paid by the jump, and alot would just rather rush from one student to the next to get paid. Good ground preperation and focus before your jump will lead to more successfull completions of your TLO's on the skydive. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

We do?...

I know pleny of skydivers, including myself, that are far from broke.

It was meant as more of a pun, but for me, I drive 100 miles each way just to jump. (and I own a dodge ram 1500 quad cab 5.9L Gas guzzling POS!) I'd love to have the extra cash... know any of them looking for employees????? hehehe
I, myself, am always broke, so I try to go broke from jumping instead of other manners like gambling and drinking.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

i did my first tandem jump yesterday..and since i got home ive been glued to the computer researching different things. I found a DZ extremely close to where i ive and work. Its only 20 minutes away!!!!! ive been checking out their prices and for the complete AFF course its $1290, if you successfully complete all the requirements for each jump. As far as gear and what not...shop around. My brother spent 300 bucks on his Mirage G3 rig. Yeah thats really cheap...but he had it checked out by a master rigger and restrung and he has over 200 jumps on it...never having any problems. I, myslef, have already decided that im doing the AFF when i get back to florida. I emailed them and they are already expecting me. Good thing about it...for every tandem person i bring i get a free jump ticket..so ill be flying(literally) through my AFF course. If i get mine done before you ill keep in touch and try and give you somet tips and hints!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I am from New Orleans, but am under strict instructions to go to Gold Coast, and only Gold Coast for my training;) I do not know if they offer s/l, but I can inquire.

:D:D
Too bad you can't come to The Farm in Rockmart, GA...great AFF training and cheaper prices.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239